Chapter 17: Protection

Izuki's POV

It was a long trip to Suna. A long, tiring trip. We were supposed to take turns staying up and protecting the others, but they all eventually fell asleep and I had to do it all anyway. I'm exhausted.

Finally, we reached Suna. "Alright, Tori, Okami, follow me. Izuki, you can rest. Oh, by the way, you will each need these." Chie-sensei said, handing us each one communication device. Tori looked at me jealously, while Okami just nodded. I just smiled. Finally. Some rest. The others left, leaving me by myself. I decided to look around and see if I could find a hotel, or somewhere else to sleep.

As I was wandering around the village, I happened to walk past a park. Some kids were playing catch. One of them threw the ball too far, and it landed by the feet of a kid with red hair. The kid picked it up and started to walk towards the others. "Stay away from us, you monster!" One of the kids yelled, running away from him. some of the others started to run too, but a few of them stayed. Those who stayed scowled at him, and picked up rocks.

I knew what was going to happen next. "Hey, you kids aren't planning on throwing those rocks are you?" I said, walking up to them. "Well, what if we were? It doesn't matter, he's a monster!" One of them said, pointing at the kid with red hair. The kid with red hair looked down gloomily. "Does he look like a monster to you?" I asked, putting my hands on my hips. "Well no..." One of them said. "Then what makes you think that he's a monster?" I asked. "I heard my mom say that he was a monster." The kid said. Oh, great. "Well, what's your mom's name?" I asked. "Karen..." The kid said. Of course. Karen. "Well, your mom's wrong. He's not a monster, he's a kid just like you." I said sternly. They glared at the kid with red hair one last time before walking away.

I turned around and walked back to the kid with red hair. "Y-your the first person to stand up for me." He said in awe. "Why?" He asked. "What do you mean?" I said. "Why did you stand up for me instead of just walking away?" He asked curiously. "Well first off, that would be wrong, and second, people saw this happening and they just walked away?!" I asked, disturbed. "Yeah, but sometimes they just stand there and watch." He said. THAT'S EVEN WORSE!

"Where are your friends?" I asked worriedly. "I... Don't have any." He said sadly. "Well, what's your name?" I asked. "Gaara." He answered. "Well Gaara, it's nice to meet you. My name's Izuki, and I'm going to be your first friend."

Gaara's face lit up instantly. "R-really? Y-you will?" He asked excitedly. "Haha, of course I will!" I said smiling.  He grabbed my hand, and practically dragged me to a part of the playground. "This is my favorite place in the whole park!" He said, pointing to a sandbox. "I can make lots of things with the sand! Wanna see?" He asked, sitting in the sandbox. "Sure!" I said happily.

Suddenly, all of the sand seemed to shift, and a large, detailed sand castle rose up out of it. "Pretty cool huh?" Gaara asked proudly. "I... What?" I thought this was a normal kid! What the fuck just happened?! "H-how did you do that?" I asked. "I don't know. I just think about what I want to make, and it sorta just... Happens." He said. "Oh! Are you a ninja? You have a headband! But what's that symbol on it?" He asked. "Uh, yeah. I'm a ninja from the leaf village." I said, still kinda freaked out from what just happened.

"Cool! My dad says I have to be a ninja when I grow up!" I can see why, with an ability like that. "Do you have a cool ability Izuki?" He asked. "Yeah, I do." I said, activating my sharingan. "Whoa, Cool! ...what does it do?" He asked. "It makes it so that I can do this." I said, throwing three kunai. The point of the first one went through the loops of the second and third one, before stabbing into a nearby tree. "Wow! That's so cool, Izuki!" He said. "Hehe, thanks." Before I could say anything else, Chie-sensei's voice came in on the communication device. "Izuki! We found something important! Come quickly!" Shit. "Sorry gaara, but I have to go. I hope we see each other again!"