Chapter 37: Immorality

Akuma's POV

It seems that the twins are still pondering my little speech... I could just kill them now, but that would be no fun. I enjoy the chase. Yes, how I love it when they fight back, when they try so hard to survive... the look in their eyes when they realize that they can't win... God, it makes me excited just thinking about it.

I turn to look back at Izuki, she's gazing at the twins with a worried look on her face. I walk back over to her, a sinister smirk curling my lips.

"What's wrong, my dear? Worried about your friends? You should be. If they don't run away like the cowards that they truly are inside, I will kill them. And I assure you, this isn't a baseless threat. Oh no, my dear Izuki... this is a promise."

She glares at me, clenching her teeth in anger. "Not if they kill you first. They got past your lackeys, and they'll get past you too." She hisses.

I can't help but chuckle at her words. "Oh? Is that so? You poor innocent little girl... what makes you think that Hakai and Warui were even close to the level that I'm on? There's a reason why they worked for me, and not with me. I could have killed them both in mere seconds, had I wanted to."

Izuki scowls and looks away defiantly. Ah, what a pleasure it will be to break her, just like Hakai... though unlike Hakai, I may even consider her my equal once the time comes... I have heard that Stockholm syndrome can develop over the course of days, weeks, months, or even years... I suppose the sooner I start to mess with her mind, the better.

"Izuki... have you ever given any thought to what Konoha really thinks of you? After all, you're an Uchiha..."

Her eyes widen in surprise, and she looks back at me. "I don't care what they think of me. I'm proud to be a hidden leaf shinobi, no matter what!"

"My, how noble... though you must know, Konoha is just using you for their own gain. They'll use anything and anyone to get what they want, no matter who gets hurt. As soon as they're done with you, they'll throw you away like garbage. Don't you think you deserve better than that?"

"...What exactly are you trying to get at, here?"

"Well, are you familiar with the rules of chess? When a pawn reaches the edge of the enemy's side of the board, they can be promoted to a better, stronger piece. Those pieces can be knights, rooks, bishops, or even a queen. At the moment, you're just a pawn for Konoha. Now you've certainly reached the enemy's side, so what will you do? Will you stay a lowly pawn, or will you promote yourself to be my queen?"

Izuki scoffs. "Is this a joke? You killed my fucking brother! And even if you hadn't killed him, I would never betray my friends!"

"Ah yes, your friends... how well do you really know the twins? Do they share the same ideals as you, or are they just using you as well? In the world of Shinobi, you can trust no one."

"Those two? There's absolutely no way. I've known them since kindergarten!"

"People change, Izuki. The world is changing too, but whether you choose to change with it or not is entirely up to you, my dear. Don't you want to be on the winning side of history? Tell me, why do you refuse to partner with me? What makes you so afraid?"

Izuki scowls at me. "I'm not afraid. I'm furious. And I will fucking kill you, there is nothing you could say that would ever make me join you. Akuzo was only eight years old, goddammit! You had no right to take him from me!"

"Survival of the fittest."

Izuki's eyes widen again, her expression quickly turning into one of pure, unbridled rage. It seems I've struck a chord. "You bastard! There's no way you actually just said that! Survival of the fittest?! Are you fucking kidding me?!"

I can't help but smile. People are more suggestable and easily manipulated when they're angry... this is almost too easy. Her short temper with me will be her downfall.

"Oh, my sweet innocent Izuki, don't you see? If it wasn't for me killing your brother, you wouldn't have pushed yourself so hard to train and get stronger. I am what made you who you are today. If not for me, you would be soft, weak, and dull, like your little friends over there. Instead, just look at you! You're magnificent! I created you, Izuki. Never forget that. You owe me."

"I don't owe you shit! You sick fuck, how dare you! I came this far on my own, you had nothing to do with it! And my friends are far from weak!"

I can see just the slightest bit of uncertainty on her face. Wonderful... it's beginning.