Chapter 38: Mortality

Izuki's POV

My brows furrow as I watch the conflicted faces of Tori and Okami. As much as I hate to say it, Akuma made some good points... I'm startled out of my thoughts as Tori suddenly speaks up.
"Wait a minute... Why are we listening to this guy? He's the enemy!"

Okami rolls his eyes. "Because he's challenging our motives and ideologies by making valid arguments against them!"

Tori isn't having it. "That's bullshit! This is bullshit! I don't care if he's Isaac Newton, he kidnapped Gaara and he has Izuki!"

Tori's right... I can't let Akuma get into my head like that. I turn to face Akuma, a determined glare on my face. "I'm not falling for your mind games, Akuma!"

He just smiles at me... I'm getting a bad feeling. Shouldn't he at least be a little frustrated? Maybe even disappointed? Why... Why would he smile?

Akuma's POV

Oh, how I love it when they fight... This will be so much fun. Izuki looks at me, seemingly confused. Confused, and something else... Something wonderful... Fear.

"Why are you even doing any of this? What are you hoping to get out of all this?" She asks, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Well... You hail from Konoha, correct? I'm sure you remember when the nine-tailed fox attacked. You see, there are others like the Ninetales. Eight others, at the moment... And I believe that these tailed beasts may be the key to something that mankind has been trying to achieve since the dawn of time... Immortality. Kidnapping Gaara was only the first step. He may have one of those tailed beasts inside him, but only having one of them is useless to me. I need them all... And I honestly don't care what I have to do to get them. I'd say the end more than justifies the means. Imagine, what if someone were to host not only one tailed beast inside them, but all nine? They would be invincible! I would be invincible! Who cares if I have to break a few laws? Who could even stop me? I could rule this land for all of eternity, and none would be able to argue!"

Izuki's eyes widen, she looks truly disturbed. "What...? But that's... That's insane! No one could handle that much power!"

I can't help but chuckle at her ignorance. "If anyone would be able to, it would be me, don't you think? After all, it was I who imprisoned you in that crystal. Defeating an Uchiha is no simple feat, I'm sure you know that. And... Perhaps once I get rid of your idiotic friends, your ocular jutsu may aid me. I'm sure you won't miss your eyes... Though I would only need to take them by force if you still refused me. Perhaps you should rethink your opinions... It may very well be what saves you from a painful fate."

Izuki huffs. "Are you seriously threatening me if I don't join you? And besides, I'm not the strongest Uchiha. Defeating me isn't exactly a challenge, not compared to someone like Fugaku, or Itachi, anyway. Just because you could beat me doesn't mean you can control every tailed beast. No one can, especially not you!"

I smirk. "Well then, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see, won't we, Izuki?"