Chapter 31: A Duel's Conclusion

Tori's POV

He swings his blade at me, but I dodge just in time, the wind created from the swing hitting my face. He continues to attack me and my only option is to parry his attacks. The sounds of continuous clashing metal rings throughout the empty arena, as I fight for my survival. I block and deflect attack after attack, but he shows no signs of slowing. He swings his katana over my head, causing me to bend over backwards so as not to get decapitated.

I catch a glimpse of his face, and he's... smiling? He looks overjoyed as he repeatedly swings his blade, as if he's never felt more alive! What's the deal with this guy? I decide to go on the offense, slashing at him with my katana. It's tempered blade thankfully meets flesh, and it cuts him across the chest. He pauses for a bit, staring at his wound in what seems to be disbelief, as if he thought that it was impossible for me to get a hit on him. His face then breaks into an almost manic smile as he firms up his grip on the hilt of his sword. He starts to shake, his smiling mouth open and his dark eyes squeezing shut. Is he... laughing? He's laughing! This son of a bitch is laughing! Though he can't laugh in the traditional sense, the look of pure joy on his face makes it clear. He charges at me once more, a look of determination taking shape. This is the first time in countless years that I've felt genuinely scared. Beads of sweat run down my face as I leap backwards and away from this crazed swordsman. Without missing a beat he swings his sword at me full strength! My only option is to block with my own. I raise my sword, and can only look on in horror as the two blades collide. Time itself seems to slow as a deafening clang is heard coming from my sword as it shatters into numerous pieces, the shards stabbing into the ground where they fall.

The thing is, that was a strong blade! It was meticulously crafted by a professional swordsmith and was built for durability! I could tell by just holding it in my hand! The fact that he was able to not just simply break, but shatter a sword like that is nothing short of terrifying. Of course, this doesn't help my situation. I stare at my broken sword in shock, and my enemy does so as well. We stare at each other for a while before our eyes meet, my gaze hardening as I steel myself for what comes next. Though it's less than half of it's original length, it should still work, albeit not as well.

Though, it seems like he doesn't realize that. From the looks of it he's just as surprised as I was! He stares at me, seemingly in shock from his own abilities. I stare back at him, all the while forming a plan in the back of my mind. I slowly back away from him, plastering a look of panic on my face. He steps forward, confidence oozing from his demeanor. Good, now he has a false sense of security. He continues stepping forward as I back away, eventually ending up in a corner. He smiles and raises his sword over his head, surely thinking that I would meet my end. Right before he can swing it down on me, I let out a battle cry and plunge my broken blade directly into his stomach. Blood erupts from his mouth and his wound as he drops his katana in surprise. He stumbles back, clutching the cut flesh under the now crimson stain on his yukata. He falls to the floor writhing in pain, all the while coughing up more blood. Clearly, I've hit something vital.

I approach him before kneeling next to him and setting down my broken katana. "You seem too virtuous to be fighting alongside people like The Artisans... I think they may be taking advantage of your fighting spirit. May I please know your name?" I ask, my brow furrowed in concern. 'Warui... That is my name. You were an admirable foe, it would be an honor to hear such a warrior's name before my end.' he signs, wheezing painfully. "Okami. Though you don't have to die! I could help you. I'm no medical ninja, but I'm sure I could-" 'no. A true warrior knows when they've been bested, and they accept their fate with open arms. I am no exception. I am glad that I was able to meet a man like you during my life Okami, I've never fought so hard before... goodbye, perhaps we shall meet in the next life, where we could be allies instead of enemies. I wish you the best of luck on your journey, friend.' he signs, smiling. I'm not sure why, but I feel tears welling up in my eyes. He's my enemy! Surely I don't feel sad for him, right? RIGHT? That would just be ridiculous... And yet, I feel an undeniable respect towards him. "Goodbye Warui, you truly are an honorable warrior." I say, turning away from him. Being allies with him, huh? That doesn't sound half bad...