Chapter 34: Recovery

Tori's POV

...is this what death feels like? It's calm, I feel warm... but what comes next? Is there an afterlife? Or is death truly the end? I'm scared, but at the same time, it's like fear no longer exists... at least for me. What will happen to the others? Will they grieve, or will they just continue on like nothing happened? ...like I never existed.

Suddenly, I feel a sharp pain in my side. I start to regain the ability to feel in my body. What's happening? Am I dead or alive? I get my answer soon as I try to open my eyes, and am met with a blinding light. I yelp and cover my eyes with my hands, and the pain in my side seems to worsen.
"Finally, you're awake. I was starting to get worried." A familiar voice says, followed by a light chuckle.

"Ch-Chie sensei?"

"The one and only. Try not to move, it'll take a while for your body to recover."

"Where the heck did you come from?"

"Didn't I tell you? I said I was going to supervise and intervene if anything went wrong. Did you really think that I would just leave one of my students to die?"

"Wait, so you were watching me the entire time? You just sat there and didn't do anything to help me?"

"I'm helping you now, aren't I? The best way for a young ninja to learn is for them to overcome their own challenges. And I think you did a great job. The fact that you were willing to put your life on the line for the sake of your comrades just shows that my teachings were successful. I'm proud of you, Tori."

"Thanks, but what do I do now?"

"Well, antidote should have finished doing its thing by now, so I'd say you're fine. As for the stab wound... many ninja of lesser caliber have made it through with worse injuries, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you don't push yourself too hard."

"Alright... can I go now?"

"Sure, but you'll have to open your eyes first. After that, just do whatever. It's up to you whether you want to keep fighting or if you want to retreat."

"Right. I'll keep fighting, I can't just leave my friends behind!" I say, opening my eyes and starting to prop myself up. Once my eyes adjust to the light, I see that I'm still in the tunnel, and that Chie-sensei had neatly wrapped my wounds in bandages. It still hurts to move, but I can't give up now, I have to find the rest of my team!