🥀🫂The Silver Lining🫂🥀

Another filler chapter! Things have been rough for Izuki lately, she's tired, sad, and considering leaving everything behind... that is, until a certain someone shows her that there can be more to life than that!

(TW: sewerslidal thoughts, attempted sewerslide)

Izuki's POV

I woke up sweating, and out of breath. That dream again. It's been three years. If it weren't for that night, Akuzo would have turned ten today. I've never regretted anything more than I regret his death. He tried to protect me, telling me to run... why did I listen to him? He was too innocent, almost to a fault, believing that he was strong enough to protect me. I should have stayed and protected him instead. But I didn't. Something about the way that he said it, how confident he sounded... I think it made me believe him. I shouldn't have. I let him die, and I'll never forgive myself for it.

I get out of bed and look out the window. It's raining, the dark grey clouds setting a gloomy atmosphere. My eyes briefly settle on my reflection. Would Akuzo forgive me? If I could just see him one more time... I need to get my affairs in order.

I knock on the door to the twins' house, noticing Tori peek his head out from behind a curtain shortly after. As soon as he sees me, he rushes away from the window, and I hear the loud sounds of his frantic footsteps coming from inside. He soon opens the door, wearing sunglasses despite the weather. The almost overwhelming smell of cologne slaps me in the face. "'Sup." He says, giving me a nod. "So, what's a pretty girl like you doing here?" He asks, trying to make his voice sound deeper. "Is Okami home?" I ask, straining my neck to peer inside the house. "Oh. Yeah he's home, I guess." Tori answered, dejected. "Great, I need to talk to you both. Can I come in?" I ask, determined to take care of any and all unfinished business.

I take a seat on a chair in their living room, Tori and Okami sitting on the couch across from me. "So, what's this about? Izuki, you seem... off." Okami says, concern showing in his tone. "I just wanted to tell you, if anything happens... I'm glad to have you guys as my friends. I honestly couldn't ask for better companions, and I'm happy to know you. Thank you for everything." I say, not letting myself cry. They'll be fine without me, I'm sure of it. "Huh? That's it?" Tori asks, confused. Okami looks disturbed, his brows furrowing as he processes my words. "I should probably get going now, I have important business to attend to." I say, getting up. I leave the two brothers and walk through the door, getting a considerable distance away from the house before I hear a voice calling for me. I turn to see Okami running after me. "Izuki, I know what you're about to do, trust me, it's not worth it! I've been there before, and I know it seems like that feeling will never end, but believe me, it gets better!" Okami exclaims, desperation seeping into his voice. "It gets better? That's what I've been telling myself for the past three years. I'm tired Okami, let me rest." I say, turning away. "Izuki..." Okami tries to stop me, but I've made up my mind. I squeeze my eyes shut and walk away, knowing that it may be the last time that I see him. Goodbye Okami... I know you'll be able to help Tori through the aftermath. You're a good sibling, though I wish I could say the same about myself.

Reopening my eyes, I walk out of the village, and to a certain clearing in the forest. On my way there, I see a bird in one of the trees, sheltering its young from the storm. It gives me hope, though not for myself. Though my training spot is in the forest, that isn't where I'm headed. I see what appears to be a small shed in the distance, and I know my destination is close. A Sepuku shed, an open secret in the Shinobi world. There is one hidden nearby every ninja village. It's sole purpose is to help despairing ninja get through to the next world. I feel an odd sense of peace wash over me as I open its door. A single katana is in a stand on the floor. As I pick it up, I notice the words engraved into it's hilt. 'The end of one journey is not the end of them all, the world will go on.' A meaningful reminder to those that use it. I kneel down, take it out of its sheath, and hold it in position. "I'm sorry Akuzo... I'm so, so, sorry. I'll be seeing you soon, little brother." I whisper, tears streaming down my face. Before I can commit the act, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn to see Itachi sitting beside me, a solemn look on his face.

"I-itachi? W-what are you-"
"I saw you heading this direction with a sorrowful look in your eyes. One of your friends ran to me and told me what you were planning."
"...I see. Itachi, I appreciate the sentiment but I have to do this."
"No, you don't! Izuki, tell me what's wrong."
"..."
"Tell me, Izuki. Let me help you."

And so I told him. Everything. Afterwards, he was silent for a while, seemingly deep in thought.

"I should have stayed, I just-"
"And what if you had? You most likely would have died in his place, and he would have ended up in the same situation that you're in now, except I wouldn't be here to help him. Would you want that fate for him?"
"...No, I guess not."
"Then do you truly think that's what he wants for you?"

More tears welled up in my eyes, and Itachi outstretched his arms. I fell into them, sobbing uncontrollably. "He didn't deserve to die!" I sobbed, burying my face in his chest. "Neither do you." He said, caressing my shaking form. The door to the shed opened once more, revealing Okami waiting behind it. He let out a sigh in relief and smiled before leaving me and Itachi alone. Itachi rubbed my back and played with my hair as I cried until I fell asleep. It was the first truly peaceful sleep that I've had in three years.

Heyyyyyy guys, I know that this is very different from the other filler chapters, and I'm not even sure why I made it like this! That being said, I think this might be one of the best chapters I've written so far, so I'm leaving it in, shitloads of angst and all! Have a great day, and I'm sorry if it was too much!