22.

India POV

Day before Halloween.

"Friend, I can't believe Blue asked me to come with y'all."
"Me either to be honest. I didn't know y'all were that serious." Tiana said pouring a drink for a bar guest.
"Hell I didn't either. And I can't say forreal how it makes me feel." I said honestly.
"How do you sound? A man is respectful to you, wants nothing more than to see you thrive, gives you dick, and now wants you to meet his folks. And you questioning that? That's what wrong with you hoes, wouldn't know something good if it slapped you in the face." Laina said pulling her floss from between her cheeks. That slap in the face comment made my heart race but I had to keep in mind she didn't know my story.
"What?" She asked looking between me and Tiana.
"I'm going to go get dressed." I said leaving the two of them there before heading in the dressing room.

Closing the door behind me, I locked it sitting down on the couch. Tears instantly began to flood. It was hard for me to feel deserving of something good after all I had been through. And to know that someone who had seen me go through it could still see me as beautiful, and treat me like a queen.

My phone vibrated in my purse next to me.

💙

It was Blue. I smiled at his timing. He always called when I needed to talk the most. I never understood how he did it.
"Hello." I said into the phone wiping my face.
"What's up? You good?" He asked into the phone.
"Yeah I'm okay, are you?"
"I would be if you wouldn't lie to me." He said and my heart raced.
"What did I lie about?" I asked.
"You not good. Talk to me."
"Laina made a comment about not knowing something good if it slapped you in the face, and you know I'm overly sensitive I took it to heart." I said honestly.
"Nah but she is wrong, something good would never lay a finger on you unless it was to please you. So of course you wouldn't know what's good for you. But that's why I'm spending my days trying to show you." He said confidently earning a smile from me.
"I appreciate that, I thought y'all were setting up for your Halloween party?" I asked changing the subject.
"We are, but we about to call it a night. You still at that shit show you call a job?"
"Yeah but I'm getting dressed about to head back to the dorm." I said. He hated my job. But he respected it for the most part.
"Nah come see me." He said.
"I have class in the morning." I said.
"Man I'll have you to class on time, just come over."
"Okay give me about an hour."
"Bet, be safe."
"You too." I smiled hanging up the phone.

Just as I was hanging up there was knock on the door.
"I'm coming guys, can I finished getting dressed!?" I yelled to Tiana and Laina, as I grabbed my belongings.
Opening the door, a wave of nauseous came over me.
"Derrick what are you doing here?" I managed to get out.
"I heard you been in here shaking your ass, had to come see if it was true." He said as some of the other girls walked past us into the dressing room.
"Mm mm." One of the girls said, knowing she had seen me with Blue before. That was i'd have to deal with at another time.
"I'm not your property Derrick, I don't need you coming to check in on me. I'm good." I said.
"Oh you good?" He asked snatching me by my hair into the hallway. Covered my mouth whichring muffled my scream.
He wrapped his hands tightly around my neck.
"You tryna stunt on me India?" He asked choking me. I grabbed at his hands, I couldn't breathe. "Answer me." He said, as if he wasn't taking my literal breath away. Letting go, I fought to catch my breath.

Leaning against the rail I spoke to him.
"I have someone Derrick, and if I come to him with so much as a scratch on my face he will find you. Don't come back here." I said.
"Well tell that nigga I'll be seeing him then, and I'll definitely be seeing you." He said lifting my face by the chin before walking away.
"I thought your man was Blue?" Came from the door, it was another dancer Hurricane.
"Mind your business Hurricane." I spat at her, she was always minding somebody else's business.

Walking down the hall, I found Tiana and Laina with their things.
"I just know that was not Derrick?" Tiana said with her hand on her hip.
"What happened to your neck Indy?" Laina asked.
"Can we just go?" I asked.
"India, did he hit you?" Tiana asked.
"Alright y'all keep standing here then, I'm gone." I said walking out the building.
I had made the decision that I wasn't going to Blue's tonight, I'd make it up to him tomorrow. But tonight I wanted to be alone.