Part 18

Ashwin's eyes wandered around before settling on Sivaangi who was standing only a few steps away. Her disappointment in him was evident on her face and he could not help but feel utterly crushed. Her eyes conveyed a lot more than just distress. It was pain. The kind of ache she did not deserve. To make it worse, now he had to handle this impossible situation in Ani's presence.

There was an uneasy silence that filled the room making Ani wonder what transpired between the two. He wasn't oblivious to the fact that Ashwin had a major role to play in Sivaangi's change from a carefree and outgoing person to the composed and reserved person that she is today. However, he knew better than to pry into details that she wasn't comfortable sharing. Over time, he had assimilated her enough to accept her just the way she is, no questions asked. And that was all she needed. 

Some bonds happen by choice, but some happen by a force of nature that's out of control. While what Sivaangi shared with Ani was by choice, the one she shared with Ashwin was beyond all of that. It just happened, like a miracle.

Both Ashwin and Sivaangi, were well aware of the fact that neither dwelling on what they had said to each other even without meaning any of it nor resenting was going to make the circumstance any better. Howbeit, there wasn't much either could do at this instant, except being patient until they got some alone time.

His words, "I will leave... Nee avan koodaye iru", rang loud in her ears on loop, shattering all of the little hope she had for them. If deserting her was so easy for him, albeit for an argument and in anger, after knowing the anguish and suffering she had to endure for three long years, how was she to trust him with her heart yet again? 

She questioned herself before moving her eyes away from his.

Now that both Ashwin and Ani were sitting right across from her, she implored her mind to handle this best way possible and keep her displeasure with Ashwin to herself. She always made it a point to keep them private and this was no exception. Although there were so many unanswered questions floating around like a dark cloud above them, all of it had to wait.

Sivaangi decided to break the ice before it got way more complicated.

Sivaangi: Ani do you want to get refreshed before having the coffee? Rombha tired ah iruku face. I will go make coffee in the meantime.

(Ani do you want to get refreshed before having the coffee? Your face looks very tired. I will go make coffee in the meantime.)

Ani was too exhausted to decipher that she needed some alone time with Ashwin by her out of the blue statement after complete stillness for the last 10 minutes. He took it quite literally which worked out in her favor.

Ani: Yes.. naane pananum nu nenachen Sivu. Maranduten. Let me quickly refresh and be back.

(Oh Yes. I wanted to but then I totally forgot. Let me quickly refresh and be back.)

He excused himself and walked out of the living room. And then there were two.

Sivaangi swiftly moved into the kitchen and Ashwin walked right behind her.

Silent tears which she had managed to pull back all this while started to roll down her cheeks. He moved closer to stand right behind her with barely any distance between them. Her muffled cries put a dagger through him, right where it hurt the most. Oddly enough, this time he was actually here with her to comfort. Not just in her thoughts or memories, but in reality.

Ashwin: Ma... Edo oru kovathla...

(Ma... My anger...)

Sivaangi: Kovathla?