Part 19

Intensified emotions are always tricky and there was too much of it going around in the room.

Ani's fear, worry, anxiety and distress were apparent by the way he rushed to stand beside her almost instantly. His care and concern displayed the depth of what they shared.

Ashwin was witnessing all of this first hand and had no choice but to remain a mute spectator which left him flustered. In just a matter of few minutes, he sensed what Kani akka had meant the other day when she said, "Ani Ku Sivaangi is not just a friend".

Ani knew her too well and she was well aware of that fact. At times he grasped her needs even better than her own self and there was no point in lying or making up an excuse. Also, she never lies to him. Not just because he would figure it out in no time but because she could tell him anything without any fear of being judged. 

Silence wasn't always a good thing and definitely not at this time. It evoked an unsettled feeling which was making Ani grow restless. On the other hand, Ashwin wanted to give them privacy and himself the much-needed alone time to calm his nerves. He was human after all and he had to leave before his anger took over his last bit of self-control.

Ani: Sivu... Sollu. Azhudhiya?

(Did you cry?)

Sivaangi: Yaa..

Though it may sound counter intuitive, Ani felt relieved. All he wanted was for her to open up to him. This would not be the first time for him to be there when she cried her heart out and definitely not the last either. 

Ani: Inum azhanuma?

(Do you want to cry more?)

Ashwin was astonished by this. Who asks this kind of a question? It made no sense to him.

Sivaangi: Illa..

(No)

Ani did not care that Ashwin was just a few feet away. He took her hands onto his and squeezed to make her look into his eyes.

Ani: Nijamma?

(Sure?)

Sivaangi: Ya.

Ani: Sivu...

Sivaangi: Am ok now.

A faint smile appeared on her face which reflected on Ani's face at once just like a mirror. He made her sit on the couch and handed his coffee to her.

Ashwin was lost in his thoughts. He noticed how Ani never asked why she had cried but just wanted to make sure she was ok. Ani's thoughtfulness and the way he handled her sensitivities with compassion and utmost comfort was dumbfounding.

He was sincerely happy that she has Ani in her life who understands and accepts her inside out but was also drowning in his own endless questions which were suffocating the life out of him.

Did he just complicate her life by coming back? Should he just leave? What was Ani to her? What was she to Ani? Is all of what he is seeing just friendship? Does he still have a chance with her?

Sivaangi's gaze fixed on Ashwin who was too distracted to notice. His struggle to digest any of what was happening was evident on his face. She couldn't fathom the distance between them. Not being able to ease his throbbing heart was heart wrecking for her.

Ani: Coffee ah kudi Sivu...

(Drink the coffee Sivu)

Both Sivaangi and Ashwin divulged back to reality when they heard Ani. Their eyes met and neither knew what to do next. With so much to process, he was in no state to handle her fiery eyes. One more moment looking into those deep eyes of hers and he would just run to embrace her in his arms.