Part 27

Eventually, it took Sivaangi a good 45 minutes to feel completely conscious after her brief heart to heart with Ashwin.

"Ani enga? Is he ok? Avana paakanum", she mumbled in a low tone, still weak and a little shaken by the incident.

"He is ok. Don't worry. Veliya wait panraaru. Na vara solren", Ashwin stood up to get Ani in and felt her fingers still entangled with his which she squeezed lightly.

He raised his eyebrows questioningly and she mouthed a Thank you that only he could understand.

"Nee dan mukyam", he reassured before walking out the door.

***

Ani was at the verge of an emotional breakdown. Sivaangi meant a lot more than he could ever express. No words nor music would encompass all that she was to him.

She was a part of him. Everything he did, had a tinge of her in it. The bond that started out as an acquittance led to the strongest bond he ever had in his entire 30 years of life.

His life depended on her smile, and he had owed to move heaven and earth to keep that intact. But today he was responsible for her lying unconscious. Life was cruel and unfair indeed.

Pugazh and Rakshan had called 10 times in the last 30 minutes to check if she had woken up and so did her Parents.

Guilt could kill a person they say and in Ani's case it was getting very much real.

He took his mobile out and stared at the wall paper. It was taken after they had recorded the Valentine's day song. She was happy that day and so was he. His arms around her and hers around him. Her curls on his cheek and his eyes looking at her. It was a perfect picture.

"Iniku semma handsome ah iruka Ani. Namma oru selfie edukalam", she had suggested after he tried on the new Balenciaga jacket she gifted.

"Nee kudutha gift ku neeye compliment panriyaa Sivu", he had teased earning a playful hit on his chest.

It was a beautiful memory. It could have been the very last picture of them, and his heart bled at that thought.

***

Ashwin walked out of the room and found Ani sitting alone in a hidden corner along the corridor.

He couldn't imagine if he would have even that sane if the situation were reversed. All of his advice and comforting words to Ani may have sounded very logical and even practical but when it comes to being in Ani's shoes, this was a nightmare. He could have lost his closest person and would have been the reason for it. 

How insensitive was he to expect Ani to forgive himself and move on? How selfish was he to not even ask if Ani wanted to stay in the room with him to be by her side until she woke up?

A deep sense of shame overtook his conscious. This wasn't a game of who is more important to her. They both deeply cared for her and though he was possessive and insecure when Ani was around her, this behavior of his was inhumane and immature given the situation.

He took quick steps to close the gap between them and took the seat next to Ani who was too lost in a black hole of memories.

"Ani", he called out in a low tone, but there was no response and it did not take him long to realize that Ani was lost.

He gently pat on his shoulder which broke his trance.

"Ashwin sorry.. gavanikkala", he apologized quickly gathering back his senses.

"Ani.. Please. Sorry lam soladeenga. Ava muzhichta. Ungala pakanum nu sona. Neenga ponga.", Ashwin saw relief spread over Ani's devasted face. His eyes that were lifeless a moment ago were now full of hope.