XXV

"This place is fucking creepy." she whispered before continuing down the steps to the basement Alucard would be in. Why did he need to speak to her? Perhaps she was reading too much into his request and simply just wanted to see her. With a sigh she continued down the steps until coming across a large door. W-What was this place? Everything, the further she progressed downward, felt so dreadful. This door felt so ominous that if she opened it, she felt as if she would unleash the truth of something terrible, as if something would reach for her and obscure how her eyes saw the world.

"There's no one there, sir. The house has been vacated, but, we did find traces of black hairs and brown curly strands. There were two people here." the underling reported to the man at the large desk. He sighed before exhaling a puff of smoke and the inhaling it once again.

"He must've figured something out then... Well, I suppose we don't have much of a choice." wrinkling his eyebrows he frowned before picking up a shortwave radio.

Do I knock? Or do I just walk in? This is so strange...

Raising her fist to the dead wood, she pressed down and the door easily flew open. Perhaps he had anticipated her arrival and simply didn't want to bother with formalities. As she looked past the door, the room was incredibly dark and the only thing giving any indication of a floor was the lights behind her. Should she really step foot into such a strange place? But then again, she did promise him that she would come down and see what he wanted... He'll probably reprimand her for not following through.

Taking a step in, the world felt colder and colder. How could Alucard live in such a depressing room? Well, she had to remember that this man wasn't human and certainly did not act like one or feel like one; but then again, he did experience 'love'...

Her feet echoed against the cold stone and her toes grew numb from the freezing cobblestone. Should she continue onward? Just how big was this room? She could still see the faintest light from the door behind her, but, once that light is so far gone... What will she do? She's always been terrified by the dark, even as a child, it was something she could never grow out of. With a sigh she gripped at her shirt and ran a hand through her hair in an attempt to calm. Why was she so nervous? If Alucard was here, then he would most certainly protect her as he did other times. But still, she just couldn't shake the feeling of gloom.

"Alucard?" she called out without even thinking. Her heart ringed in her ears as she tensed for a response. Just where exactly was he? If he didn't show up soon, she would be sure to leave and wait until he showed himself. Frustrated, she started to turn back, but, as if to keep her interest, something brushed against her elbow and almost pulled her back gently. Startled, she spun around and looked for a body to connect to the force she had felt against her skin. Goosebumps traveled all over her skin as she rubbed the area that had been touched. Was that Alucard trying to scare her? Becoming frustrated, she continued to descend into the dark room.

"I'm going to leave unless you quit hiding and actually come out to talk to me." she crossed her arms and tapped her foot as she spoke to the darkness. Surely he must be in here right?

Getting no response from the still darkness, she sighed before taking several steps forward, the light dimmed the further she progressed.

"Look, I'm growing tired of this, just come out and talk to me since that's what you wanted." rubbing her forehead she awaited a response.

"I was curious how long you would endure the dark." a voice replied from the other side of the room. With relief, she sighed before progressing further. A chuckle sounded before lights glowed and faintly flickered. Why use candles?

"It was kind of bright, and besides, I said I would come down here to see what you wanted." she responded as she took a good look to the man sitting on his 'throne', or at least the posture he sat in suggested it was like his own throne.

"How kind of you, but I never expected less." he chuckled before sipping on something that looked like wine. Walking closer, she picked up the wine glass he set down, and then drank from it. After gulping down a sip, she cringed as the liquid sloshed around in her throat. That was way too thick and vicious for it to be wine...

"Did you like it?" he laughed before taking a sip.

"What was that?" she questioned tasting remnants of iron on her tongue.

"I belive type O blood... positive." he rubbed his chin before taking another sip and placing the nearly empty cup on the table next to his chair. She sighed as her thoughts were confirmed.

"Did you think it was distasteful? You don't seemed to be disgusted." he observed. She shrugged her shoulders.

"It just confirmed what I thought it was, and honestly, after getting used to nosebleeds that go down my throat, I've become accustomed to blood and kind of like the grit of iron." she laughed before looking at the wine bottle. No paper, no date, nothing.

"How interesting, well, if you truly enjoy this 'grit', having even further refined senses should be quite the treat." he responded as he placed his chin into his palm and watched her curiously. Tilting her head, she didn't quite understand what he was suggesting.

"Why not become a nightwalker, dear Elyza? If you did the constant loss of blood would stop ailing you and would allow you to live by me safely. Virgin life can be quite troublesome." he stood before brushing a hand against her hair and past her eyes. Become a vampire? That sounded so absurd and frightening, but at the same time, a spark in her mind flickered at the thought.

"A vampire? But, I'm perfectly fine as I am, becoming something like you and Seras sounds frightening and grim. Not being able to stay awake during the day? Craving the blood of others? Such a way of life seems so restraining and annoying. I still have to work and pay for my house, if I could barely stand the sun, then I would lose my job." she put a hand to her chin as if deep in thought. He crackled with laughter as she tilted her head rather confused.

"You misunderstand..." he placed a hand on her shoulder. Oh she truly did not understand...

"What am I missing? Perhaps I'd take the idea more into consideration if you enlightened me." she teased him, and instantly, he jumped onto the bait and attempted to convince her.

"Allow me to show you, Elyza." he growled before firmly grasping her shoulders and locking eyes. He looked so insane, she had never truly seen something like this before. Was he going to kill her? No, there's no way he'd kill her.

"I-I don't understand..." she trailed off as she looked to the forest in front of her. Faint whispers and voices could be heard from the distance, and not to mention something smelled delectable. Just what was Alucard thinking when showing her this? Sighing, she turned around and headed to where those strange voices were. Wait, something didn't feel right.. She was moving incredibly fast! The trees blurred past and she could barely feel her feet touch the soil of the forest. So, he was showing her the perks of losing her humanity? She would play along.

"...I'm going to do it." a voice sounded from the distance. Do what? Still curious, she went after that voice. After a minute or so, she approached a highway that was empty except for one car parked along the shoulder. Confused, she noticed the delectable smell coming from that one human. But, it was then she noticed what she was smelling was the cuts along his arms.

This was just a simulation right? But then why did she feel so guilty about not caring about the fact this man was suicidal? If this were real, she'd try to stop him, but, if Alucard is trying to show her what it's like to be a vampire, why not indulge him?

Quickly she approached him.

"W-Who are you?" he questioned with shaky palms. She grinned. Why was she so excited, so invigorated? She couldn't think now, what she needed was him. She needed to feast on this lowly human who was going to throw their precious life away.

"Don't come near me." he attempted to scare her, and she simply cackled with laughter. Without thinking, she ran up to him with fangs bared and a smile unlike any other. Now sweating, the man backed away. Panting with excitement, in one step she stood right in front of him. Her hands immediately reached for the man and rested lightly around his neck. He screamed as her grip tightened.

This was exhilarating!

"What did you think?" a voice broke her immersion.