15

Spaces - One Direction 

Who's gonna be the first one to compromise? Who's gonna be the first one to set it all on fire? 

HARRY

When I got the phone call to go to the Toronto airport as soon as I could, I thought it was a fucking joke. First off, I didn't have a car nor did I know how to get to the airport. Second off, my feet were asleep. There was no way in hell I was going to get up and suffer those consequences.

But when Ben bickered on and on about how he wasn't going to pay the cab fare nor did he know how to get to Dylan's in the first place, I knew I had no other choice. I still didn't understand why he was here in the first place, but assumed it was best not to ask questions and go get him.

The drive back was long and awkward as hell. I had borrowed Dylan's spare car - a 2009 BMW that hadn't been used in years, only with the promise that I'd pick up Maddie from school first. I didn't realize I became a fucking taxi service.

Matters were only made worse when I had an annoying eight year old in the back seat. The whole time I was trying to maneuver my way through the hectic Toronto traffic, as well as remembering to drive on the right side of the road, I had Maddie badgering me with questions. "Who's Ben?" "Why is he here?" "Are you sure you know how to drive?" Of fucking course I know how to drive, why else do you think I'm in the damn driver's seat. Fucking hell, this kid is going to be the death of me. 

She was like the fucking road runner, constantly beeping in my ear. If I didn't sort of enjoy her company from time to time, I would have thrown her out of the car long time ago. It didn't get any better, of course, when I did pick up Ben. The moment he jumped into the front seat, she asked question after question... "Who are you?" "You're my brother too?" "Why are you here?" "You're nicer than Harry..."  

Ben laughed in return. He seemed in good spirits, regardless of his unannounced visit. His hair was a long mess... too fucking similar to my hair... making us look even more like brothers. He threw his hoody in the backseat, smirking at me once he buckled in. His attitude threw me off. He wasn't usually this nonchalant with everything. Benton Styles had a constant stick up his arse and didn't have one chill bone in his body. The guy in my car was the fucking opposite. I knew Jaz was a free spirit, but I didn't think she had that much pull on my brother. Maybe I didn't know him as well as I thought...

Dylan seemed entertained with the whole situation. Once we arrived back at his place, Maddie continued on with her interrogation. Her first question the moment we stepped through the threshold of the townhouse was if Dylan knew he had another son. He only laughed in response, nodding his head and welcoming Ben in with welcome arms. 

It was an hour later, after we finally got home, and were gathered around in the living room. Maddie was sat in the middle of Ben and I, her tiny hands wrapped around her princess mug. It was filled to the top with hot chocolate, sprinkles covering the whipped cream. She smiled at it longingly. She hummed with satisfaction after a long sip. 

The silence that lingered was thick with something. It wasn't tension... it wasn't awkwardness... it was almost peace. Everyone was at ease as we drank our hot beverages. I wished that mine was spiked with something in it to cancel out the high pitched yammering of the eight year old beside me. 

Dylan cleared his throat. Warm green eyes staring at us as he hunches his shoulders forward. 

"Benton," he coughed, clearing his throat once more. "Where are you staying while you're here?" 

Ben leaned forward, sitting his half empty mug on top of the coffee table. He folded his hands on his lap, brows furrowed slightly... "This trip was short notice. I haven't had a chance to make any reservations at a hotel, but I was going to find somewhere to stay and hopefully be able to rent a car while I'm here."