55

ISABELLA

Two Months Later - December

The streets of Brooklyn are paved white. Snow had been tumbling out of the sky in bunches making New York a winter wonderland.

I had fallen in love with this time of year. Everything seemed to change when the snow came. The world became a little bit brighter; a little bit more festive. Maybe the real reason I was so drawn to this time was because of the abundance of peppermint. It was no secret that I loved everything mint - the smell, the taste, the colour. December only glorified it even more and I couldn't complain!

Harry and I were strolling down the streets, hand in hand, sipping on hot chocolate. There had been a major shift between us since everything that happened only two months ago. With my father now in jail, and my mother released from rehab, our little world had become different. It was different in a good way, that was definite. There wasn't anything I could change about it - especially the little smirk that was permanently etched onto Harry's mouth. We were finally happy (I say this as I knock on the metaphorical piece of wood, hoping to not jinx anything).

Maddie and Natalia stroll in front, hand in hand, as Maddie rambles on about the cute boy in her class. She had been insistent that she didn't like him - he was shorter than her and smelled like grass, but he always shared with her his cookies at lunch time. Apparently he had bought her a small gift for Christmas. It was a little necklace with a small ladybug pendant. Again, she claimed that she didn't have a crush, but the blush that painted her cheeks a deep crimson said otherwise.

It was late in December making the streets busy with last minute Christmas shoppers. The twenty-fifth was only two days away and we wanted to take in every bit of the Christmas season before it was all gone.

I couldn't help but think back to a year ago around this time. We were so excited about spending the holiday together, that we hadn't expected my father to ruin our relationship. But here we were, back in New York, together. It's crazy how things go back full circle.

"Can we go in here?" Maddie had stopped in front of a toy shop. It was small, your typical hole in the wall. The display front had been decorated for the season, with toy trains and beautiful dolls dressed up in holiday dresses featured strategically. I looked up at Harry who had been chewing on his lip, thinking.

"Only for a minute, fine," he agreed and opened the door for all of us to walk in. Maddie squealed with excitement and pulled on Natalia's hand, dragging her in.

"You're sweet," I cooed, kissing his cheek.

"If I didn't say yes, I wouldn't hear the end of it until February. I didn't want to have to listen to her high pitched voice till then," he grumbled.

I couldn't help the laugh as I shook my head at him, "Sure."

It was cute how much he cared for Maddie, even if it killed him to admit it. She had weaseled her way into her heart, and there was no way she was getting out of it. He wouldn't let her if she tried. It was heartwarming.

We stepped into the little shop. The walls were packed with toys and games, overfilling the small shop. An older man stood at the front behind a counter, counting money from the cash register. He looked up, the jingle of the bell indicating our arrival. He had wired glasses and rosy cheeks, his hair white as snow.

"We're closing in ten minutes," he grumbled out. It was a stark contrast from his Santa Clause like appearance.

"Look - it's you in forty years," I whispered in Harry's ear. This only earned a grunt as he narrowed his eyes at me. I giggled in response, pleased with myself.