47

ISABELLA

The dawn of the new morning seeps through our curtains. Harry is fast asleep beside me, his right arm draped over me in a protective manner. I have been awake for a while now, our alarms going off twice, reminding me that we needed to get up. It wasn't because I felt lazy, or because I was too engrossed in being held by Harry. It was because I knew what today held, and I wanted to prolong the inevitable.

Today was the day my father would be going to court. Today was the day when the fate of my family would be revealed. I wasn't ready.

I don't think I would ever be ready for something like this. The outcome of the trial is in the hands of the universe, and there was nothing neither of us could do to alter it to our liking.

Best case scenario would be that my father is charged for all of the wrong doings he has done over the past thirty-five years. Even though I knew that if he was charged and sentence to prison, the effects of what he had done wouldn't go away. No. Instead, we would be haunted by his actions. The ghosts of his wrongdoings will plague my family until we died.

But we had a choice. We always have a choice.

We could either allow the hurt he had caused to linger, or we could forgive and move on.

Forgive my father. Ha! The mere thought of doing so makes my stomach churn and my throat close. I don't know if I could ever forgive him for what he has put not only my relationship through, but the agony he has brought upon my mother.

Even though I know that I would be alright eventually, the future of today was still gnawing away at my stomach.

The alarm goes off once again and I quickly shut it off. It's already 8:45, leaving us a little over two hours to be ready to go. I feel Harry stir beside me, probably awake from my alarm.

"What time is it?" He mumbles at my side, the pillow blocking his voice. I can hear the rough gravel to his morning voice - a sound I would never grow tired of.

"Ten to nine," I reply in a whisper. He shifts his body so that he's no longer laying down. He rests his head on his hand, his elbow upright and his body facing me. "You can sleep for a bit longer. We don't have to get up just yet."

He mumbles something incoherent as he pulls me closer to his side. We're already impossibly close, but I wouldn't complain. I tangle my legs with his as I sling my arm around him, digging my head into his chest.

"Have you slept at all?"

"A couple hours," a yawn escapes me as I answer him. He shifts once again so that my head is no longer on his chest. He lifts my head up gently by my chin, as his eyes - still droopy from sleep, search my own. "Sleep is for the weak," I try to joke.

Of course, he sees through my facade and sighs.

"Izzy," Harry's breath is warm against my forehead as he leaves a kiss. "Whatever happens, I'll be by your side. You have me."

That was the only thing really helping me get through today. It helped knowing that I had this beautiful man by my side, holding my hand and encouraging me to push through. It was because of him that I knew I could do anything. He is my rock. He is my love. Even though our relationship has gone through the ringer and back, he has been a constant source of love in my life.

He is everything.

I can feel the careful touch of his hand as he runs his fingers along my waist. My eyes flutter shut to the intoxicating feel of his soft touch and my head falls against his shoulder.

"We have some time. Let me relax you, yeah? Get your mind of things."

He kisses along my neck and down to my shoulder. He pulls on the sleeve of my oversized shirt. His lips are warm against my cold skin and it sends a surge of warmth throughout my body.