Epilogue (II)

2 YEARS LATER

ISABELLA

There was a calmness in the air. It felt misplaced.

Chiffon dresses were sprawled out across white couches with high heeled shoes littered across the floor. A nineties playlist was playing in the background, masked by the chatter of my bridal party and family.

I sat in front of a mirror that took up most of the wall. Magda, my hair stylist and make-up artist extraordinaire, was pulling my hair back as she begins to curl it. 

"How you feeling?" She asked, breaking me from my pre-wedding trance. I looked up at her from the mirror's reflection.

"Nervous. Good, but nervous," I told her truthfully. I wasn't too sure why I felt so nervous. I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was ready to marry this man. He had been the only constant in my twenties, and the only man I ever truly loved. I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life... so why did I feel so damn nervous?

"That's normal. You could be with a bloke for twenty years but then the moment you're about to marry 'im, you're a nervous wreck. Don't worry, love. You'll be alright," she squeezed my shoulder gently.

"I think so too," I replied, feeling a sense of relief. This was a completely normal feeling. My shoulders relaxed as Magda continued with my hair.

I never thought this day was going to get here. After Genevieve turned one, we had already began planning the wedding. We knew that we wanted it to happen quick, but life had a different plan for us. A plan that neither Harry nor I had planned for.

I became pregnant.

For a woman who had lost a baby and then went through an early pregnancy, I was shocked when I saw the pregnancy test turn positive

For a woman who had lost a baby and then went through an early pregnancy, I was shocked when I saw the pregnancy test turn positive. The doctors were surprised too - that I had become pregnant so quickly. But regardless of it's bad timing, we were so excited to have another little one.

Harry had suggested that we get married whilst I was pregnant. But something inside of me didn't want to do that. I wanted our little guy to be there. I wanted him to be part of our families big day - outside of my womb.

Plus I had already bought the dress.

So we waited.

We waited until our little boy was born - and he did after the full term. He was healthy and chubby, and I wished with everything in me that I had another cesarian. It was okay. It was worth it because our little Elliot Benton Styles was born.

"Mummy! Mummy! We have a present!" I took a look at the mirror to see little Genny pulling her brother's hand across the floor, stumbling on her little feet as they scurried across. I winced as Elliot fell to the floor, his chubby knees buckling under his sister's force.