31

The fact that we can sit right here and say goodbye, means we've already won. The necessity for apologies between you and me- Baby, there is none. 

Walking In The Wind - One Direction 

ISABELLA

September (2 months and 20 days later)

"I have a peppermint mocha and a pumpkin spice latte at the bar," the young barista shouted from behind the counter. I made my way towards the hot drinks. My fifteen-dollar rain boots squeaking against the laminated floor.

"Thank you," I said before grabbing the warm mugs. The potent smells of peppermint and pumpkin spice invade my senses. A warmth spread out throughout my body, bringing an autumnal feeling that seeped beneath my skin and warmed my cold bones.

It was an exceptionally cold day in New York for the middle of September. It felt more like winter with the dropping temperatures and crisp wind. The rain only made it feel even more chilly.

Carefully, I placed the two drinks of the table we had been occupying. Retreating back to my seat, I didn't hesitate to clasp the warm mug between my cold fingers. I took a slow sip, careful to not burn my tongue, and sighed. There was something incredibly homely about the taste of peppermint. It was one of my favourite flavours, regardless of the time of year.

"Good?" I was startled by the feminine voice of my table buddy. I glanced up and grinned.

"Very. I didn't realize how cold I was until now," I briefly explained, taking another slow sip. Josephine Baxter, who sat in front of me with her flowing dark locks and magenta lipstick, had a sparkle in her eyes as she sipped her latte.

When I joined the staff at NYU, I wasn't too sure what to expect. Originally, the bookstore was supposed to be a part time job to help pay the bills until I found a paying internship or full time position at a publishing company. What I hadn't expected was the sudden promotion from salesclerk to manager. I wasn't going to complain. There were more hours and the pay was a lot better than anything I would have made as a cashier. But the stress and responsibilities that came along with it was not what I had been expecting.

It was a particularly stressful morning. Only three cash registers were working - a result of a system crash that set us back and losing four registers. I wasn't going to allow it to stress me out, however. It was only a roadblock that I needed to step over. The line had reached out the door and students were complaining left and right. Pulling up my big girl panties, I set up calculators and money floats at the remaining four registers, and guided my trusty employees to get the line going.

At the end of the day, my mascara was running, my hair a frizzy mess from pulling at it throughout the afternoon, and I was ready to cry.

That was when Josie came in.

She found me in a corner stress breathing and wiping furiously at my eyes. She ran up to me, her heels clacking against the floor. "Are you okay? What's wrong? Do you need a wine? That always helps me when I'm about to have a nervous breakdown, and you look like you're about to set yourself into one. Maybe cake? Cake is always great. Are you alright?"

I remember looking at her as if she was insane but I was positive that I looked even more crazy. Wiping furiously at the tears that had escaped me, I inhaled deeply and exhaled, releasing all the pent up tension. "I'm okay, thanks. Cake sounds really good."

It was from that moment on, that I had found a friend in Josie. I was particularly surprised to learn that she was a professor at the university. Her leather skirt and loose fitting blouse made her look like another student. But in fact, she was a Women's studies professor. It was her quick wit and no-care attitude that brought a needed relief during the craziness that frequently took place at the south campus bookstore.