CHAPTER NINE (GAME NIGHT)

I wear casual jeans and a little sweater vest to game night. My hair isn't cooperating after I curled it, so I try to mess with putting it up in a claw clip.

There's a knock on the door. I ran to grab it. "Hey, come on in. I'm almost ready." I yell towards the door. I see Clay start to open the door. I ran to my room to put on some shoes and chapstick. I walk out to fully register Clay in my apartment.

He's tall, so he looks like a giant in my kitchen. Although I am only used to seeing my tiny self there.

I pick up the cookies from the counter and hand them to him. "You ready?"

He grabs the cookies and gives me a nod.

"Alrighty, follow me."

I lead him to the elevator. "Now I should probably warn you about the people you're about to meet."

"Oh no, should I turn around now?" he says in a jokingly scared way.

"No, you're fine. You have me." I bump him in the side a little bit. "But Ms. Donna is going to want you to be hers."

He laughs a little.

"Now," We get onto the elevator. "Ms. Mathilda is one of the sweetest ladies you'll ever meet, but she is a cheat when it comes to cards. Watch out.  Ms. Nancy is a mother of like three kids, so she gets all her drinking done during the game nights. We'll probably have to carry home or call her husband."

"Noted." he says with a smile.

"Cole is about our age. He's a totally genius science nerd guy. We're probably the only interaction he has with humans. Mr. Kim is an old guy. Do you know Karate Kid?" I ask.

Clay nods, giving me a look of question.

"He's basically the sensei. And then there's Mr. Williams, who basically set this all up. He's really nice. He invited me here, and without him I don't think I'd have any job at all." Let alone two.

"He sounds like a great guy." he says as the elevator opens. "But you forgot about someone."

"Who?" I lead him down the hall to the very end.

"You. I feel like I barely know you, besides the fact that you make amazing cookies." he says with a chuckle.

Ha, take that Dream.  I think to myself. "Well, I don't know if there's that much to say about me, except that I'm a a god at uno. That's my game." We reach a maintenance closet and I start to open it.

"That's maintenance," he says.

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing. I'm part of the top secret club, remember?" I smile as I open the door.

The door actually leads to a secret room. There's also another set of stairs that would lead you to the roof. We walk into the secret little conference room.

"Hey sugar! We thought you weren't- Who is this handsome man here??" A woman in blue says as she gets up to hug us both.

"Hi, Ms Donna," I say as I embrace her. "This is Clay. He's my neighbor."

"Well aren't you lucky? I have only have Mr. Kim as my neighbor."

"And you enjoy that!" Mr. Kim says from the table. Ms Donna shoots him a look, and he winks back.

"Ignore him," she turns back to us, "come inside, come inside."

"Are those cookies?" Mr. Williams says loudly from the table.

"Yes, sir they are." I say, motioning for Clay with the cookies.

"Well, son you can sit right next to me." Mr. Williams gives the chair next to him a little pat.