CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE (DENIAL)

"Can I tell you a secret?" he said in a hushed voice in the ill-illuminated room.

"Spill," I smiled, thinking it was going to be something stupid like he peed his bed till he was six. Those were the kind of secrets we've been blurting out for the past thirty minutes as the tiredness of the late night got to us.

"I'm Dream." he said in total seriousness, "Like the minecraft youtuber."

I was quiet for a second before I laughed out loud, breaking the quiet. "That was a good one. That one was funny, Clay."

He sits there and watches me as I wipe a single tear that formed as I laughed. I sigh as I pick up our old plates.

"I'm.. I'm not lying." He says quietly, "I really am. I can prove it to you."

I looked at him from where I was standing in the living room. I could see the rain pouring out my window. "I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I believe you on that one."

"Do you seriously not believe me?" he asks. He seems a little serious.

I nod my head a little before putting the dishes in the sink.

I'm not sure how I explain to him my thought process as to why he couldn't be Dream, but I don't think that I could without exposing myself.

I know Dream. I sadly have to talk to him a couple times a week. Dream is arrogant and Clay is humble and sweet. I could not even imagine a world where they are the same person. In my head, they are polar opposites. And I would like to keep it that way.

"I've just watched some of his videos, and you guys don't act the same." I shrug.

"Are you a fan?" he jokes.

"No, just watched a bit of the manhunts before." It's technically not a lie. I got about fifteen minutes into one of them.

"Then that-" he's interrupted by a knock on the door.

I gave him a look. I wasn't expecting anyone at this hour, especially in weather like this.

He moves to get next to me. He looks through the peephole before nodding once to say it's okay to open the door.

I follow his lead and open it for him. "Oh hi, Mr. Williams!" I say as I open it.

"Hey, darling, I just wanted to check on you and make sure everything is okay." He gives me a once over to ensure all my limbs are where they are supposed to be before noticing Clay's existence. "Oh, hello Clay. Glad to see you're taking care of our girl."

I roll my eyes.

Mr. Williams chooses to ignore me. "Anyways," he continues, "The power is going to be up and running in the next ten minutes. I just wanted to let you know."

I nod. "Alright, thank you for telling us."

Clay nods as well. "I should probably go check on Patches. We'll resume this conversation, y/n." He gives me a pointed stare.

"Okay, Clay," I mock his town but give him a smile to let him know I'm joking.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

she doesn't get it even when it's right in front of her smh

come back tomorrow! daily uploads!

have a good day :)

WORD COUNT: 522