CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO (LIGHTS OFF SECRETS OUT)

The outside weather is insane right now. I'm watching a movie on the TV with thunder and lightning striking every other second. I can barely hear the TV.

The lights flicker every so often. I've had to turn the TV on and off again three times to get it working.

I charge my phone now while I can in case we lose power later. I make some hot chocolate and press play once again.

I don't even get to watch it when the lights flicker on and off then leave me in the dark. You've got to be kidding me.

I struggle around my apartment for some candles. I'm lighting one in the kitchen when there's a panicked knock at the door.

I check the peephole before opening it. I swing it open as soon as I notice who it is.

"Y/N" Clay says as soon as I open the door, "Please please please let me use your phone. I left mine unplugged and it's dead and there's no power and it's a work thing..." He rambles.

"Oh shut up, of course you can use it," I joked with him.

"Ohh thank you so much." He walks into my apartment.

I hand him my phone and he walks into the kitchen to talk on it. I light candles in the living room.

"Hey Nick!" He says after a moment of silence after he waited for it to ring.

"Yeahh about that. I don't think I can make it."

"There's a fucking storm man! What do you expect?"

I giggle a little bit at that one. I hide it though because I don't want to have to explain that I am Storm.

He continues his call without noticing me. "Ugh, listen I will make it up to you."

"I will, I will."

"Okay, have a good str- time! Yeah, bye!"

He turns to me and sighs for a moment. "Sorry about that. He needed me for something and I obviously couldn't help him." He shrugs a little.

"Nick.." I think out loud, knowing I've heard that name before, "That's your friend who came to stay with you right?" I ask, a little proud that I remembered him.

"The one and only. You never met him, did you?" he asks, leaning on the counter.

"No, I was really tired that night or something." I go to put away the lighter in my drawer.

"He's moving in with me in like two weeks, so you can meet him then." He leans against the counter as he talks to me.

"That's exciting. How did you meet?" I ask. I get a cup out of the cupboard.

"Online, through work. It's a mixture. We basically grew up together though." He shrugs a little.

"Aw, that's so cool that you've stayed together." I say.

We're quiet for a few moments. "Hey, if you aren't doing anything, would you like to stay?" I ask, "I made hot chocolate, and the water should be hot still. Plus I have cake from work."

"That sounds great." He sighs a little bit.

I pour hot chocolate into a cup for him. He walks around the counter to help me. I glance down at the floor and notice he's wearing socks with tacocats on them.

I laugh a little bit. "Nice socks," I commented.

He glances down at his feet, then slaps himself in the face. "I was in a rush. I really should've thought that one through when I left."