Chapter 28

It had been a week since I had woken up. I couldn't see anything. The confusion was that the doctors really didn't have any definitive answers to why I couldn't see. I had been poked and prodded and tested over and over, and nothing was working! The swelling in my head was gone, so it only was really frustrating when the doctors could only say that head wounds are tricky. Liam was always by my side. I could only tell it was him because of the distinctive smell of his cologne. I used my hands to touch my loved ones, tracing their face with my fingers to understand the difference between faces, I used my nose and ears also to tell what was around me, this was part of my therapy as a blind patient. I still had to come to grips that I couldn't see, it wasn't like having a blindfold over my eyes, this was full-blown blindness. I had to flail my arms around in order to find objects that I needed or wanted. I would have to find the bed rails on my bed on each side to help me sit up. I was confused and angry because every time I would try and figure things out on my own, Liam would grab my arm and gently hold it. I felt like he was keeping me from figuring out things on my own. I hadn't even left the hospital bed, except to use the bathroom, but I still needed help. I wondered how in the world I would walk, get around, the basic things like eating were seeming like a daunting task to me. How would I know where my mouth is, to feed myself? Even find my fork and spoon and know which one was which. I felt my temper rise as I thought about all the stuff I couldn't do. I angrily threw my water bottle, after not being able to find my mouth, I had found my left cheek and got water all down the side of my cheek and my neck. I heard Liam sigh as I heard the bottle clink on the floor of my room.

"Annie, you can't keep throwing things, just because you are having a hard time learning new things."

"I can't see a damn thing, Liam! How am I supposed to do anything?" I yelled at him, my heart beat faster, and I started panicking getting scared as all the thoughts ran through my head. Liam drew me into a hug and whispered softly in my ear.

"Hey, hey now. We will figure this out, we will figure this out together. I am not going anywhere I swear."

I grabbed onto him hard, and just let all my tears out. I cried on his shoulder, I wanted everything to be different, to go back to the way it was before.

"Annie," I heard a voice say. I knew in an instant whose voice that was. I closed my eyes, still with my head on Liam's shoulder, and started remembering some things, they were still a blurry memory, I do remember her calling me so many mean names, and then...darkness

My headshot off of Liam's shoulder and I turned to where I thought she was.

"YOU! You caused this Amber! You called me some awful names! GET OUT! GET OUT! I don't want to see you! UGH, what am I saying? I can't see you, because of you I'm BLIND!!" I yelled at her, I was hysterically screaming at her, I felt Liam grab me in a firm hug.

"Louis, get her out of here!" he yelled at Louis, "Annie, calm down, shhh you're ok, you're ok, he said gently to me.

I was so angry that I grabbed the first thing that was near my hand, which was the braille book, and I chucked it hard!

"Annie!" I heard Liam yell at me. Stop throwing things! Stop that right now!"

I didn't care that I was throwing things, I was pissed off! I threw myself onto my back on the bed and put the covers over my head. I thought about how unfair this is, Amber could see, she could walk on her own. I had to be escorted to the bathroom, she was going home at some point and I was stuck here!

"I don't want to see any more doctors, therapists, or anyone! I want to be left alone!" I angrily yelled from under the blanket.

I heard a bunch of commotion then I heard each of the boys say a hurried bye or an excuse on why they had to leave. I thought I was totally alone like I wanted, after hearing the door to my room close, but I could still smell Liam's cologne.

"I said I want to be ALONE! That means everyone, including you Liam, GET OUT!" I screamed, I threw in some cuss words for good measure. To my frustration and anger, he remained where he was, just listening quietly to my ranting.

"I don't care how much you yell, demand, or cuss, I am not going anywhere so get used to it!" he said taking a seat in the recliner by my bed.