Everthing Changes

Ruby Jane's POV

After the battle, I made sure that my people were able to settle back in our village. I ordered for my troops to double the security within our borders, increasing their time in the frontlines and demanding for longer trainings.

I will not have a repeat of what happened. I promised her that I will avenge her, however that may look like. I was deep in my thoughts... I feel empty, I feel nothing but the urge to wipeout the wolves in this nation. I will find Kai, where ever he is hiding from.  I clenched my fist at the idea of him being free and broke the glass of liquor that was in my hands. I was distracted from my thoughts when I heard someone knocked in my office.

"Come in", I saw Jisoo walking towards me. 

"Alpha, your new security protocols have been announced to the village, our reserved forces have been put to work and our borders have double the people we had posted before", I nodded in agreement. Jisoo was on her way out when I stopped her.

"Jisoo, what will I do now that Pranpriya is gone?", she turned back to me.

"You are still the Alpha of our clan, you have people to take care of. Think of them, I'm sure that's something she would have wished for you continue"

"I feel empty, I am so enraged.. I need to find Kai and kill him"

Jisoo just stared at me. She was always rational, she is my Beta for a reason. "Well what are you planning to do? I suggest you focus on our village's recovery and then plan your revenge, you have all eternity to do so"

"Very well, gather  the people at the town square. I need to address them", Jisoo nodded and left.

The people have gathered in the square and I started to walk over the podium.

"Last night, we've lost some good people, our family and friends, but most importantly , we've lost our Luna. It was a tragic night.... and in lieu of these events, I will now impose a 10pm curfew, anyone who will be seen outside their homes will be sent to the dungeons. I will also increase the production of our weapons, I will need people to work from dawn to sunset", everyone gasped at my remarks, whispers are coming from people. "Further, I will now require our children, both male and female at their 12th birthday to start training", the people in the square started protesting.

"Alpha, what are you doing?, they are just kids", Jisoo whispered as she tried to change my mind, but I continued to talk. 

"Anyone who disagrees are welcome to leave the village, you will be labeled as a rouge and can never return to the clan. We need to build a stronger force, the wolves are still lurking our borders and we always need to be prepared. The new security measures have been in place, does anyone dare to disobey these new laws?

I see fear from my people, but none of them defied. Today, everything changes. 

As the seasons passed, and years elapsed, many of my people noticed the coldness in me, they called me ruthless for taking away their children's freedom. Some even said that I had gone crazy through the years. I ignored them, I could careless. They need the strength to protect their family, how are they able to do that when they are weak.

Maybe I was weak, I was swayed by idea of being kind to people and taking the high road. I tried doing things more rationally and peacefully but in the end, I was the one who had lost the most important person in my life. My village must learn to protect themselves or they will perish. 

* * * * * (asterisks like this would mean timeline jumps, or change in scene)

It had now been half a century since I lost Pranpriya, and I feel less and less  intact with my humanity. I don't want to become a monster like every other vampires who have lost their mate, but it is so difficult to ground myself knowing that I no longer have a reason to exist. I miss her everyday... oh what I will give to feel her hugs once again.