New Beginnings

Lisa's POV

It's graduation day! 

I am here standing alone outside the hall where the event is being held. I watch as my classmates hugged and kissed their family members. The scene brought tears to my eyes, everyone here was happily celebrating a milestone.  I remember my parents and I hope that they are proud of me of where ever they maybe. This wasn't the first one they missed. My parents passed away when I was sixteen, about eight years ago. They died from a car accident and the person who caused it was never caught. My grandparents took care of me after that, but they never really liked me. For them, I was the reason that my mom never finished her schooling. She fell in love with my dad and eloped. They kept taking care of me for the child welfare money. 

They fed me, clothed me and gave me shelter in exchange of being their housemaid. I was more of a cleaner... a cook... a slave. Everything the asked, I had to follow or else they would punish me by burning my family photos one by one. When I turned eighteen and finished high school, my grandparents kicked me out of the house. They don't have any other reason to keep me longer since they won't be getting anymore monetary benefits. I was glad to be out of that house.

So there I was at eighteen, homeless and without family. My best friend Chaeyoung offered for me to stay in their home and her parents were kind enough to let me board for a couple of months until I was able to find a job. I met her when I was seeing a therapist after my parent's death. Her mom was my psychiatrist and she was the girl who always had so many stories to share. She's the closest to family I've had since my mom and dad.

I work as a waitress in a local club, serving drinks and food to our patrons who are mostly big time corporate people. I worked until I had enough saved so I can rent my own place. Working at the club put me through school, I earn by the hour but the tips I make really help with my finances. I had scholarships that pays for most of my school fees and the rest, I take care of. 

I taking my masters in Engineering with a minor in Physics, not a common pick. Some would say I was crazy for doing so, while some praised me for my choice of study. I like to learn how things worked and what makes them work. 

My train of thought was disturbed when Chaeyoung finally arrived. She came as my visitor for graduation.

"Lisa! I'm sorry I was late, traffic from the hospital was so bad! ", Chaeyoung works as a counsellor at their family clinic. She came with a camera and a small banner that says 'Congrats Lisa!', lowkey giving me supportive auntie vibes right now. 

"You are just in time! Visitor seatings are being filled now, why don't you go ahead, I think the ceremony is about to start!" I told her with a smile on my face. Somehow, I don't feel as lonely. I have someone to share this milestone with.

*****

The ceremony started and I sat with the rest of the graduates. The president of the university gave his welcoming speech, thanking every guests and parents that came to support their loved ones. After, the president proceed to introduced our guest speaker.

"It is in my honour to present to you one of the country's youngest billionaire, and a major benefactor to our university, Miss Jennie Kim.", he introduced a young lady and she walked towards the podium as I watched her from the monitor. Everyone applaud for her.

I was in awe, calling her beautiful would be an understatement. Her skin was fair, her hair was of medium length but it flowed down perfectly.. and those eyes, damn. Not only was she hella beautiful, she was smart and rich too. Apparently, Miss Jennie Kim owns one of the biggest weapons manufacturer in the country, weird business for such a lady.