15

ᴄʜʀɪsᴛᴏᴘʜᴇʀ ʀᴇᴛᴜʀɴs

"Hey Juliana, I'm going out, I'll be back in a few days," Christopher whispers to his sleeping daughter, waking her up.

"What? Where are you going?" she asked sitting up and stretching a little.

"Out, I'll be back," he answered vaguely kissing the top of his daughters head gently, "And get up, it's twelve o'clock don't waste the day away."

"Mhmm definitely," she mumbled throwing her head onto her pillow as he left her room falling back asleep immediately.

Christopher closed the door to the house feeling guilty he wasn't telling his daughter where he was going or what he was doing, knowing she wouldn't like the answer. 'Think about it in another way Christopher. By not telling her you aren't hurting her. What she doesn't know won't hurt her' he thought trying to make himself feel less guilty, but nothing worked.

Christopher decided to take his bike, leaving his daughter with his car so she can get around easily without having to call a friend. Besides, where he's going he probably doesn't need it.

He got to the small town within about thirty minutes, the feeling in the air immediately feeling more comforting and friendly than Hartford. He drove through the town and around the square towards the coffee shop he hears Lorelai and Rory mention when they talk occasionally, stopping in front of the market next to it earning glares from an old man who looks all stuck up and for the rules.

His eyes then landed on a mother-daughter duo who told at him looking at the bike in awe. 'Great entrance Christopher' he mentally congratulated himself jumping off the bike. The two turning away to enter the store.

"Hey," he says getting their attention back.

Lorelai stared at him for a second before answering, "Hi."

"Nice shirt. Take it off," he joked Lorelai's face turning like she was ready to insult him, but before she could he slipped his helmet off revealing his identity.

"Christopher," Lorelai recognised feeling more comfortable.

"Dad!" Rory squealed running up to him and hugging him tightly.

"Hey!" he laughed clutching onto her sides.

"This is great! What are you doing here?" Rory shouted happily.

"I'm here to see you. And your mom, who's not saying anything about as loud as a person can," Christopher joked, not wanting to tell her the real reason.

"Hello," Lorelai repeated watching him.

"A word. Maybe there's a phrase in my future," Christopher joked, turning to the same old man glaring at him, "OK, why is that man staring at me?"

"That's Taylor Doose. He owns the market. He knows all and sees all," Rory said sounding like a joke but Christopher wasn't too sure and definitely won't be taking his chances around him.

"So, what's with the just showing up, Mr. Spontaneity Guy?" Lorelai asked.

"I thought I'd stop by and surprise the Gilmore girls. Are you surprised?" he still left out the reason he was here.

"Oh, the teeniest feather could knock me in the gutter," Lorelai joked. There's the sense of humor Christopher missed.

"So where would somebody find someplace to stay around here?" he asked knowing this issue is going to take more than one day.

"Stay, really? You're staying?" Rory asked excited her face lighting up.

"Thinking about it," Christopher smiled at her excitement, "But only three or four days."