21

ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ɢᴇᴛ ꜱᴛᴀʀᴛᴇᴅ

She span around at the bottom of the stairs with as big of a smile as she could manage plastered on her face. The strapless gown fitting her perfectly, twirling with her and she span.

With his eyes full of adoration, she stared into them, as they approached each other slowly. The only difference with his expression, is that his smile was real and not as forced as hers.

"You look amazing," he said to her softly, as he joined his hand with hers, moving his thumbs slowly on her hands as he held them, bringing her a comfort only he's been able to for the past month, since the incident.

His hands in hers reminded her of first grade. The first day of school, they were seated next to each other, and were known as each other's buddy. They were to stick together for the whole day. And they did, it's what they did until third grade, when they got placed in different classes and Tristin took his spot. But Spencer was her first "boyfriend", in first grade they kissed under the slide in the playground. They had this bond neither realised how strong it was.

"Don't look too bad yourself Cooper," Juliana matched his tone, not wanting his hands to move from hers.

Her friends watched the two carefully, although growing closer to Spencer and trusting him and his motives, they all agree jumping to Spencer isn't the best thing for Juliana. But they know they have no place in telling her what's right or wrong for her.

The group all posed for pictures. Twirling each other around, dancing around and smiling for pictures around Juliana's house and garden.

But her face remained plastic, not a real sign of joy showing. She was happy, almost. She loved to be with her friends and loved her dress and the fact she was going to a formal. But she wasn't happy.

Something inside her ached, causing a deep pain which has been growing more and more, one which she was able to push down easily even a few weeks ago, but the past few days it hasn't budged, she struggled to even contain the sight of her being in such pain, as the only thing worse would be people knowing.

"You alright?" Spencer asked carefully, pushing his hand gently on her exposed back, sending a small chill down her back causing her to stand up straighter.

She couldn't tell him the truth and ruin his night, but she couldn't lie to him, so she pushed her lips together into a tight smile and nodded her head. Hoping her response wouldn't be worrying to the boy, but he knew her too well to not see through her act.

"I know you're not, but I also know how much work you put into tonight, and there's no way I will let you miss it!" he leaned down towards her ear and whispered as to ensure others wouldn't hear him.

A warmth ran though her, realizing how much this boy understood her, her finally finding someone who understands her fully. His eyes full of trust, lust and everything Juliana needed.

Everytime Juliana felt wrong, and though she would ruin everything or that she just wants to run home and bury herself in her fluffy duvet, she had to remind herself of the limited time she has left with her friends. Reminding herself of this is how she managed to make it through the night without much incident or returning home.

Most of the night although was a blur, a lot of dancing on the dance floor and boring speeches congratulating the students on completing another successful year, although there is a week left of school. But what stood out most, causing heaviness in her torso, was the congratulations and pledges of support in the student body elections, which occur in a few days. Juliana couldn't respond to them with anything but a tight smile, small nods and laughs followed by some vague words with similar meanings to 'Thank you for everything,' and 'Have a wonderful night.'