Chapter 3

Yu Si Yu quickly pulled herself together, assuming a proper composure as she lightly patted Yu Xiang's back. "Older sister is relieved that younger sister feels this way," she said softly, "I did not expect that little Yu Xiang is all grown up..."

Yu Xiang wiped her tears on her sleeves and retorted with a sneer: "Is older sister genuinely relieved or just faking it? Old sister must be extremely disappointed for not being able to witness my utter despair. The day after sustaining injuries and being brought home, didn't older sister laughed joyously and said, 'Serves her right! Serves her right! Let's see how menacing she can be in the days to come.' I would like to ask older sister, how menacing have I been for you to begrudge me in such a way?"

Yu Si Yu was stupefied.

Yu Pin Yan who was still standing outside the door, frowned ferociously.

"How...how did you know?" Yu Si Yu abruptly turned and glared incriminatingly at her two maidservants, fury in her eyes. The maidservants shook their heads in alarm and retreated two steps.

How did she know? Naturally, from reading the novel. Though it seemed as if an entire millennium had come to pass, for Yu Xiang it was just a couple of hours, thus how could she have forgotten?

A sudden thought flashed through Yu Si Yu's mind. She whirled around and demanded: "You. You knew earlier that your legs are maimed?" Unexpectedly this damn girl now knew to bribe the servants and even plant spies. When did it happen?

Yu Xiang smiled,in dismal. "How can I not know my own body? Three days have passed and I can't even move my toes, if they're not maimed then what could it be? Contrary, this misfortune has allowed me to see through lots of misconceptions. Older sister, I would like to know when have I ever mistreated you to the extent of inciting your malevolence? I have always let you be the first to pick the clothes and jewellery that old madam bestowed us. The little precious adornments in my room that you fancied were completely for your taking. To help ease your livelihood, I give you five silver taels every month. I even took the blame when you once broke Old Madam's most treasured red glazed spring chrysanthemum twig patterned jade pot, where I knelt till both my knees were bruised and I couldn't walk properly for days. You did look extremely grateful and even appeased me, but inwardly were you not laughing at me? I have been for day and night and I still could not figure out when I mistreated you. Older sister, let's talk this over today."

Yu Si Yu was rendered utterly speechless by Yu Xiang's interrogation. Motherhad never noticed either of them. Under the idiom 'fellow sufferers sympathise with each other', she did truly try treating Yu Xiang wholeheartedly, but the Old Madam was distinctive. In her own youth, Old Madam had suffered because of a favored concubine. Now, in her old age, she lost her Di son and her Shu sons strove to seize the Marquis title and family possessions. As such, she distinctively stressed the differences between the Di and the Shu. Anything a Shu daughter deserved, she would get no less but could not expect more. Day by day, the Old Madam would critique and regulate her, fearing that a Shu daughter would inevitably grow over-ambitious and wreak havoc in the family.

Yu Xiang had always gotten whatever she demanded, allowing her to live a wilful life of flamboyance and luxury. While Yu Si Yu got by in a constant state of fear and trepidation. As time passed, she grew to resent Yu Xiang; a hatred that only grew more and more profound as time went by.

After all, Yu Si Yu knew that any inclination she harboured would be frowned upon, thus she could only clench her teeth and kept silence.

Yu Xiang glared at Yu Si Yu indignantly. All of a sudden, she turned to grab the decoction placed by her bedside and hurled it at Yu Si Yu, drenching her head and face. She then picked up a teacup and ruthlessly smashed it over. "You can't answer, can you?" Yu Xiang hollered hoarsely. "I, Yu Xiang, will not acknowledge such a ruthless and heartless person as my older sister! Get lost! You are not allowed to step into my room ever again!"