Chapter 64

Although the Old Madam was very dissatisfied with Lin Shi, she usually didn't really mind her. Previously, if she hadn't personally come to the main courtyard, the Old Madam wouldn't have reprimanded her using such harsh words.

After Lin Shi went back, she reflected upon herself for several days and developed an inexplicable fear of the Old Madam. Then, she realized that the military pledge[1] she made the other day would most likely be something used against her. If she made a mistake, the Old Madam would never be as tolerant as she had been in the past. She would take out a written complaint and letter of repudiation, and kick her out of the manor.

Where could she go if she left the Marquis manor? Her younger brother isn't reliable, she is on bad terms with her shu elder brother, and she would only be eaten alive by someone with ill intentions as she was a woman with a large dowry.

However, she did not dare to confide in her daughter. She only urged her daughter not to make any mistakes and to curry favour with the Old Madam and Yu Pin Yan.

At first, Yu Miao Qi was able to patiently agree with her, but when she had to be reminded everyday, she began to feel irritated. In addition, the person she had sent to investigate Shen Yuan Qi wrote back stating that he was from Lingnan. He was recognized by the Xue family as their adopted son because of the death of his parents. Although the experience of selling himself into slavery could not be traced, he looked like the man she remembered, a vivid portrait of him was also attached.

Yu Miao Qi opened the portrait to take a look, her face went pale with fear. She recognized this face even if it was burned to ashes. Isn't this the di son of the Shen family, Shen Yuan Qi?! In spite of everything, he became so lucky!

That's right. The family's surname he was sold into slavery was Xue, a well-known noble family in the south of Lingnan. Not only were they the richest in the capital, but they were also influential in the imperial court. As long as he was not a pedantic and inflexible person, he would be able to become successful in the future with the help of such a background. After all, he was extremely smart and talented.

Yu Miao Qi burned the portrait. She felt as if her heart was being licked by the flames and the burning pain was indescribable. The Heavens were so unfair, they gave the Shen siblings their outstanding looks and such great luck. In addition, they were always able to turn danger into safety. As for her, the Heavens were so stingy that there was a hidden misfortune behind every twist of fate, causing her to become so weary.

Night fell. She chugged a jug of old wine and got herself so drunk that she could barely sleep. Upon the next day, she went to the Old Madam with a painful headache to pay her respects.

The Old Madam could not tolerate this pair of mother and daughter. After giving a slight nod, she was about to bid the two of them to leave. However, unexpectedly, Lin Shi suddenly spoke, "Mother, Si Yu is already sixteen. She should be getting married, right? Which household is she engaged to? I can help with the management of that."

Yu Si Yu had been anxiously waiting as if she was set on fire[2]. When she saw that she had taken the initiative to ask this question, she even shot a grateful glance over to her and then looked at the Old Madam longingly.

Only then did the Old Madam remembered this matter and laughed coldly, "It wasn't me who helped her decide, but she picked it herself. Yangzhou Salt transport Envoy, Si Yun Tong, Lord Fang's di son, the present third-place candidate[3], Fang Zhi Chen."

Yu Si Yu lowered her head shyly.

For some reason, over the years as Yu Pin Yan achieved higher government status with more and more authority in his hands, the number of aristocratic families that had dealings with the Marquis manor had become lesser and lesser. In the past few years, Yu Si Yu would still receive a few invitations and would still interact with her close friends of similar family backgrounds. However, in recent years, she had not received a single invitation and people would distance themselves from her when she took the initiative to look for them. On top of that, because of Yu Xiang's legs that weren't convenient and she was not fond of entertaining guests, the manor's door was always tightly shut. The Old Madam had even cut off all contact with other families in order to accommodate her. As time went by, Yu Si Yu was unable to do anything and she could only play the Qin at home, embroider and feel sorry for herself. Also, due to her being dull-witted and ignorant, she knew nothing about the outside world.