Chapter 65

The Old Madam's intention was to scare her. She continued to let Yu Si Yu kowtow and admit her mistake, but she did not respond to her, she just picked up her tea cup and slowly sipped from it.

Ma Momo brought a new plate of pastry. As Yu Xiang nibbled on them, she flipped through the booklet, constantly brushing away the crumbs that fell onto the page.

Yu Pin Yan glanced over at the booklet, his face darkened for a moment when he saw that there were actually miniature portraits of men on it. As he was about to reach over and snatch it away, his younger sister leaned towards their grandmother, pointing her finger at a small portrait and mouthed the words, "This is not bad."

The Old Madam looked down and saw that it was the person she liked the most. The corners of her mouth couldn't help but quirk slightly. Xiang'er was still the most realistic and saw things the most clearly. Although this person was from a humble background and had a low official position, he was a good match because of his good morals, magnanimous temperament. In addition, even though his family was simple, the rules were strict. A man was not allowed to have a concubine until he was 40 years old and childless. He was indeed a good match.

If a girl married into this family, there would be no in-laws to make things difficult for her, no concubines to upset her, and she would be able to lead a very comfortable life as long as her belly didn't disappoint her and she was able to conceive a son.

Yu Xiang observed the Old Madam's expression. When she saw the smile in her gaze, she knew what to expect and she was envious of Yu Si Yu. Yu Pin Yan pursed his thin lips. He grabbed the booklet she was holding and skimmed through it. His line of sight fell on the phrase 'able to have concubines if one is childless at 40'. That vinegar jar[1]probably chose him because of this point.

He gave it some thoughts, then he smiled slightly and tossed the book aside. His only wish was to have Xiang'er. To have Xiang'er in his life was enough for him, and he was sure that he would be able to make her happy and satisfied in the future.

Yu Xiang glanced over at her Elder Brother and picked up the booklet that was about to fall off and placed it beside the kang table[2].

Yu Si Yu was still begging for mercy. However, Yu Miao Qi had already noticed the small movements of those sitting above her. She turned her eyes to the booklet and immediately knelt down to intercede, "I beg Grandmother to forgive Elder Sister. That Fang family has declined to such an extent that she really can't marry into that family. If people were to know of this, wouldn't they laugh at our Marquis Yongle manor?" Since the Old Madam didn't allow Yu Si Yu to marry into the Fang family, she did them a favor. Anyway, when the mother and son kicked up a fuss, Yu Si Yu would have to marry even if she didn't want to.

"My Marquis Yongle manor has never been afraid of being laughed at. Let them say whatever they want." the Old Madam snorted.

Yu Miao Qi continued to discourage her, "Grandmother, even if you don't think about the Marquis manor's reputation, you should think about Elder Sister's happiness for the rest of her life. Can you bear to see her marrying into a family like that, and living a life of hunger and poverty?"

"It's not that I could bear to see her like that. It was that she set her mind to it in the first place. It's not that I hadn't tried to persuade her. She, herself, said that she was interested in the Fang noble son's character and not his family lineage. Since she feels that she would be full just by drinking romantic water, I cannot fail to fulfill her wish." the Old Madam refused to let this off. She had to teach Yu Si Yu a lesson she will never forget.

Yu Si Yu has long been repentant and fearful. She wished she could kowtow her head to persuade the Old Madam to give in. She suddenly spoke sincerely, "Grandmother, Granddaughter is wrong. This granddaughter lied. In the past, I did not fancy him because of Fang noble son's character, but for his family's wealth. I was aiming for a very wealthy family fortune. Now I know the truth that 'wealth and luxury are like clouds and smoke. One should cherish what he has at the moment while proceeding into the future'. Previously, you advised me several times for my own good. I was wrong...Terribly wrong. Please forgive me this time!" After she said that, the sound of her head thumping on the ground sounded out as she resumed kowtowing.