Chapter 127

Yu Pin Yan led his army back to the capital without revealing himself. Furthermore, because Emperor Cheng Kang had deliberately sealed off the news, no one knew that the Western Barbarians were nearly exterminated by him.

The matter that the courtiers spent the most time thinking about on a daily basis was to choose sides ‒ today, you impeach me, tomorrow, I impeach you. They were all vying ceaselessly for the honour of being an aide to the Emperor. Emperor Cheng Kang looked elated to see this. In reality, the butcher's knife in his hands was already raised up high.

There was a few more days before the army would reach the capital. In order to pull the wool over people's eyes, Yu Pin Yan had to send his younger sister back first. As the two spoke, they kissed one another again. Just to bid farewell, it took them half a shichen (an hour), and that was only because Liu Lu risked her life to urge them to part.

As she was a girl, she could not keep staying in the temple. Hence, two months after she left, Shen Yuan Qi ordered a maidservant to dress up like her and took a carriage back to the Shen manor. Then, he announced that his younger sister fell seriously ill and refused to see any guests.

Yu Xiang surreptitiously entered the Shen manor and saw Shen Yuan Qi staring at herself with a dark and sullen expression.

"You are back?" He walked over, looking at his younger sister from top to bottom. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. I couldn't be any better." Yu Xiang smiled with crescent eyes.

Shen Yuan Qi couldn't bear to see her blissful appearance. He scolded her with a fierce expression, "Hurry up and get dressed. Go and meet the Ninth Princess."

"Why is Little Jiu'er here? Didn't you say I was seriously ill and refused to meet any visitors?"

"The Ninth Princess is of prestigious status. How can I stop her from coming in?" Shen Yuan Qi's dark face revealed a hint of a smile and his tone softened. "The Ninth Princess is very affectionate and helped you to cover up when she found out the truth. Thanks to her frequent visits to you in recent months, other people did not suspect anything. Otherwise, your reputation would have been tarnished."

"Let them say what they like, I won't lose a piece of meat. Regardless of what people say, my elder brother won't forsake me anyway." Noticing her brother glaring at her, Yu Xiang hastily corrected herself, "But I have to thank Little Jiu'er. I will wash up and go out to meet her."

Only then was Shen Yuan Qi satisfied and went to the side hall to report to the Ninth Princess. As the Ninth Princess came to visit the manor every three or five days and she could not be sitting alone because of his younger sister, Shen Yuan Qi was forced to disregard the great men-women taboo to talk with her. As the time went by, he had grown fond of the innocent Ninth Princess.

Time was limited, so Yu Xiang only washed her face and changed her clothes before hurrying to the side hall. Coincidentally, she heard the Ninth Princess' giggles and joyful laughter. After leaving the hustle and bustle of the battlefield, this burst of laughter instantly caused her eyes to well up.

"Xiang'er, you're back!" The Ninth Princess saw her best friend and immediately pounced on her. She squeezed her arm and said, "You've lost weight. Hurry, come over and eat something."

With her pounce, Yu Xiang staggered. Only then did she realise that after not meeting for a few months she had put on a lot of weight. Her face was round. Her fair skin was very tender and as smooth as a crystal bun.

"The Ninth Princess is right. Why don't you come and eat quickly? It's been a long time since you've had a meal with a big bowl of rice, hasn't it?" Shen Yuan Qi felt very distressed. He ordered someone to prepare food and wine while speaking. To avoid arousing suspicion, he excused himself after a few words.