Chapter 21

After several days of deliberation, in the end the Old Madam couldn't make up her mind, so she had to ask her grandson about the marriage alliance with the Duke Jingguo manor.

Yu Pin Yan fiddled with the teacup, and his attitude was indifferent. "Grandmother isn't aware that Grandson was once young and impulsive where I had asked Chang Ya Fu privately if she was willing to marry me."

The Old Madam leaned forward and asked, "What was her reply?"

"She said to ask her once more after I have become the Marquis of Yong Le." Yu Pinyan chuckled as he seemingly found that intriguing.

The Old Madam wasn't able to laugh at all. Hearing such selfish and merciless words, how did her grandson feel back then? When his father died, his mother was indifferent, and even his relatives wanted to take his life secretly. His fiancee, who was supposed to go through thick and thin with him, looked coldly at him as he struggled bitterly in the deep sea.

For him to be in this current position, what kind of price did he pay?

The Old Madam felt that there was a knife gouging out her heart continuously, and the pain was overwhelming.

"What's with that expression, Grandmother? I'm fine." Yu Pin Yan put his teacup down. He patted his grandmother's trembling shoulder and smiled. "Now, I'm Marquis Yong Le. I don't wish to be asked about such things anymore. Grandmother, you do as you please."

"Alright. I'll settle it in three days." The old madam nodded with a displeased expression.

However, no one expected that the old Duke Jingguo would be in critical condition the next day, and the Duke Jingguo manor was in a mess. At the moment, the Old Madam had to hold back breaking off the marital engagement as it gave others the suspicion that they were adding to the misfortunes of those who are unfortunate and taking advantage of their difficulties.

After several days, the old Duke Jingguo's health did not recover and instead became more serious. On one particular night, he stopped breathing. There were white flags hung on the Duke Jingguo manor. Now, it was harder to mention about breaking off the engagement.

Chang Ya Fu had to be filial for three years, and their engagement had not been broken off. Three years later, her grandson would be 19 years old. In other families, their great-grandson would be running about and would be able to talk. This merely was holding back her grandson! The Old Madam held her breath and couldn't let it out. She felt very uncomfortable. She immediately sought a concubine for her grandson.

Yu Pin Yan was stabbed in the back by a maidservant in the early days, and then he was deceived by his fiancee. He abhorred women. The women sent by the Old Madam were indifferently thrown into the yard. Later, he received an official mission, went to the other province and did not return home for half a month.

On that day, Yu Xiang woke up early. She hummed a short song and applied a cosmetic powder on her forehead using the bronze mirror. 'Yu Xiang' was originally pretty. After a few months, her features had grown, and her appearance became more and more beautiful by the day. Her looks gradually coincided with those of Yu Xiang in her last life. She felt that this kind of change was good since anyone would be horrified to see a completely unfamiliar face when one looked at the mirror.

Tao Hong came in with breakfast. She asked, "You are in a good mood today, Miss?" Ever since the Little Marquis left, her master has not smiled much.

"En, I dreamt that my older brother is back." Yu Xiang beckoned Liu Lu to push her wheelchair for her to eat. She happily said, "I'll give both of you a day off today. Head home. Oh right, also, ask Xi Qiu, who is in charge of sweeping, Rong Ma, who is in charge of washing, and Pang Fu, who is in charge of carrying water and firewood, to go home as well and come back before Youshi[1] (5 pm-7 pm)."