Chapter 87

After the Chang family had suffered a stifling loss, they came on their own accord three days later to break off the engagement and returned all the betrothal gifts with a fairly sincere attitude.

Old Madam accepted happily and even stated plainly that the past should not be mentioned again.

Seeing that Yu manor had no intention to make things difficult for them, the load that had been weighing in the heart of the Chang family's mother and daughter was considered truly offloaded.

More than half a month later, Old Madam heard there was an arrival of novelty imported stuff in Zixiang House and among them was the gleamingly bright mirror that could reflect the people's image to the minutest detail.

Reckoning that her granddaughter will definitely like it as she set a great store to her own appearance, Old Madam allows her granddaughter to follow along to choose for herself.

When Yu Xiang heard this, she knew this was the mercury mirror and readily agreed. When she came out of the courtyard door, more than half of her good mood immediately diminished once she saw Lin Shi's mother and daughter would be following too.

The few people then arrived at Zixiang House in two carriages. Other families' womenfolk who had received such news came over hurriedly too where many carriages stopped and parked outside in rows. Although Yu family is merely second-ranked in the nobility stature, Yu Pin Yan nevertheless is one of the most powerful people in the Capital. The shopkeeper dared not be negligent and dispatched quite a few assistants to entertain them.

Western taffeta, lacy cloths, timepieces, music boxes, mercury mirrors and other objects were displayed in the most conspicuous places in the shop. Anyone who came to the shop would hasten their steps to take a look and touch them.

Seeing there were many people around, Yu Xiang asked Tao Hong to push herself behind several of the antique racks as she wished and wanted to choose some exquisite small objects. She was about to reach for the brightly-colored opal necklace that caught her attention when someone seized it first.

Yu Xiang glared angrily but soon exclaimed, "Your Highness Crown Prince?"

With eyes full of smiles, the Crown Prince gave her a keep-silent gesture.

Yu Xiang immediately covered her wide open mouth with her small hand.

"Do you like this necklace?" The Crown Prince asked in a low voice.

Yu Xiang nodded honestly.

"As such, this will be gifted to you. Just pick whatever else that you like, Gu[1] will foot the bill." The Crown Prince waved his sleeve generously.

Not knowing how the word 'polite' is written, Yu Xiang successively pointed with her fingers, "Then, many thanks to Your Highness. I want this string of beads, this makeup box, this tortoiseshell comb, this ..." She picked seven to eight items without a break then ordered Tao Hong and Liu Lu to carry them in their arms.

The Crown Prince is fond of her candid spirit and even repeatedly asked if she wanted more.

"Since it will be ungracious not to accept your kindness, let's add a mercury mirror. I want the largest that can reflect from head to toe." As there are so many noble ladies here today, she probably can only get the mirror by relying on His Highness Crown Prince. Yu Xiang stretched her arms out and gesticulated a huge outline.

The Crown Prince was amused by her and laughed incessantly. He then ordered the little eunuch beside him to negotiate with the shopkeeper. Both of them chatted for a while before the little eunuch came back to report that the matter had been arranged. Only then did Yu Xiang went away with perfect contentment and even made the keep-silent gesture before leaving, indicating that she would not reveal the whereabouts of His Highness Crown Prince.