Chapter 47

When Old Madam and Lin Shi entered the manor entrance, it was already dusk. Yu Xiang had prepared the meals earlier and was waiting in the side hall. Yu Pin Yan had also come back and was fondling his younger sister's hand with a rather imperceptible tenderness revealing in his penetrating eyes.

"Let's have a meal together." Old Madam looked at Lin Shi.

"Thanks Mother, but I will go back and eat alone. Catching sight of Yu Xiang, Lin Shi felt upset and lost her appetite. Fortunately, her daughter would be back soon and she would have someone to accompany her in whatever she does in the future.

Old Madam was just being courteous. If Lin Shi truly agreed, she would also feel compelled. Thus she didn't persuade her to stay, merely waved her hand and allowed her to retreat.

"Grandmother, where did you go with Mother today? She seems to be very happy. I haven't seen her smile in fourteen years." Yu Xiang flashed Old Madam a bright smile. The sharp contrast of the black and white of her feline-like eyes were twinkling with fragmentary radiance.

As soon as Old Madam saw her granddaughter's delicate face like a beautiful spring day, her heart was filled with a bucket of honey; so sweet and affectionate. She walked over and patted the top of her head as she bantered with her, "Haven't seen in fourteen years? Could this little yatou[1] began to remember things at birth? That's truly the reincarnation of a spirit child."

"Perhaps I really am. Come and eat, Grandmother, before the dishes get cold and the flavors are off." Yu Xiang repeatedly beckoned her hand for someone to start serving.

With her granddaughter's agile nature, Old Madam would actually have believed her words and inevitably laughed even more happily.

The atmosphere was different when the grandmother and grandchildren got together, that even the air suffused with the scent of joy. With eager attentiveness, Ma Momo laid out the table before retreating with a genial smile. After looking at the crying faces of Lin Shi and Miss Miao Qi for a long time, her heart had felt suffocated that she had to look at Miss Xiang'er to cleanse her eyes.

Old Madam picked a piece of roast goose for her granddaughter and spoke gently, "Xiang'er, Grandmother has something to tell you."

Here it comes. Yu Xiang took a small sip of wine in Yu Pin Yan's cup. Her feline-like eyes were opened roundly as she looked over, appearing ignorant and cute.

Before she spoke, Old Madam laughed and stroked her delicate cheeks, "Xiang'er, you actually have a twin sister."

Putting down his chopsticks, Yu Pin Yan took the wine cup from his younger sister's hand. He filled the cup up and emptied it in one gulp before pouring a small amount then shoved it back into her hand. His expression was indifferent as if what Old Madam had announced was just a trivial matter.

Yu Xiang's already round feline-like eyes instantly opened even wider, with a gleam of curiosity and astonishment, "I actually have a sister? But why hasn't she lived at home for the past fourteen years? Where is she now? How come you never told me?"

Old Madam patted her back as she continued, "Due to her weak bazi and possibility of dying at any time, Grandmother has no choice but to entrust her under the care of a nunnery. Not only you don't know, everyone in the entire manor doesn't know about her too except your Mother and Elder Brother. This is to avoid the supernatural beings from listening and taking your elder sister to the underworld. Look, these fourteen years have passed and her death calamity has been resolved, so....."

"So, my elder sister will be coming back?" A joyous expression was revealed on Yu Xiang's face but in her heart she was actually not happy. Just the thought of the rightful owner vying for her elder brother's attention and favor, filled her heart with the little worms called jealousy which were eating away her reasoning one bite at a time.