Chapter 136

The guilty officials who were working together with the Fourth Prince were either beheaded or exiled. People were dying daily at the entrance of the marketplace. The thick pool of blood that could not be washed off had formed a dark brown lump on the execution stage, making people retreat from the fishy stench emitting from it. Among these were a large number of influential aristocratic families who were implicated and went into a decline. In addition, many new officials rose quickly in the imperial court.

Under the control of Emperor Cheng Kang and the Crown Prince, the change of power took place in an orderly manner. The Fourth Prince was finally sentenced to be beheaded, and the huge drama of usurping the throne was over before it really began. The Fifth and Sixth Prince were both stripped of their titles as county princes. Although they were not relegated to common people, they were not that far off.

Two months later, Emperor Cheng Kang announced his abdication and handed the throne over to the Crown Prince. He also felt that he had killed too many people and had greatly hurt the kingdom, so he punished all the offenders' families lightly. Those who were not deeply involved were either sold or sent into exile. Had it not been for the crimes committed by these men, all nine clans[1] would have been slaughtered, and the blood at the marketplace would reach as high as the market go-ers' calves.

However, Yu Miao Qi and Lin Shi were not among those who were given a lighter sentence. When they saw the prison guard bring over the last meal, they were frightened to the point of almost losing their souls. They slumped against the cell door while incessantly begging for mercy and crying out injustice.

It was only when Lin Shi's voice became hoarse from crying that she realised she had no other means of survival. She sat there for a moment, then picked up the last meal and ate it, very seriously and meticulously.

Yu Miao Qi looked at the pitch-black corridor outside the cell door and the apathetic Lin Shi who gave up all hope. She said sternly, "This is the last meal, you can't eat it!"

"Why can't I eat it? Do you still expect someone to come and save us?" Lin Shi raised her head and looked at her daughter with a strange and cold gaze for the first time. The moment she knew death was waiting for her, she finally woke up from this horrifying dream. She looked back at her former self in highsight and all that remained was a sense of absurdity and disbelief.

What has she done? For the sake of such a heartless and selfish daughter, she forsaked her mother-in-law, her son and her title as Jun Jie's wife. And what did she get in the end? All she gets is her daughter's resentment and criticism, as well as this bowl of last meal.

She deserves to die, so why couldn't she eat it? Now, her greatest fear is not death, but how she would meet her husband when she is in the Yellow Springs. How should she answer him when he asks if she has taken good care of her son and mother-in-law, and whether she has solidified the Marquis manor?

Should she reply 'I have been indifferent to my son and mother-in-law for more than a decade. Not only have I done that, but I have also even collaborated with my daughter to ruin the Marquis Yongle manor?' If Jun Jie were to hear these words, Jun Jie would probably kill her immediately!

Such absurdity, such ridiculousness, such stupidity... What on earth was she thinking, to walk into the abyss step by step until all hell broke loose?

Lin Shi spat out the chicken bones in her mouth and turned to glance at her daughter who kept crying out injustice. A gloomy smile slowly appeared on her face.

Upon noticing a figure of a person approaching from the end of the corridor, Yu Miao Qi gave a heartfelt shout, "Grandmother, have you come to save us, grandmother? This granddaughter knows she is wrong. I will listen to you from now on and I will never cause you trouble. Grandmother, please forgive your granddaughter!" She kept saying 'grandmother' and 'granddaughter' to remind the Old Madam of their familial ties.