Chapter 85

Lin Shi dared not provoke Old Madam since the day of the audit and merely brought words of the Chang family's mother and daughter to her. Seeing Old Madam insisted to break the engagement off after she probed with a few words, she relinquished too. As Old Madam is magnanimous, she does not want to break the engagement on the day the mourning period ends but rather to settle it half a month later and even intended to let the Chang family open their mouth first which is also regarded as retaining the last bit of sentiments between the two families.

After several passable gifts were prepared, the whole family arrived at the entrance by carriages where both Duke Jingguo and his wife personally greeted them with extreme attentiveness.

Yu Xiang and Chang Ya Fu have always been narrow-minded, so seeing the other party, she curled her lips up in contempt and snorted as greetings but when she saw Chang Qi, she wielded her horse whip and revealed a murderous gaze.

Duke Jingguo has already requested the Emperor to confer Chang Qi as his heir but the imperial decree has yet to be granted, so he is still untitled as of now. Although Chang Ya Fu is the daughter of a Duke, she is not in the eighth-grade nobility rank nor does she have the Xiangjun[1] title, hence, amongst the noble ladies present, Yu Xiang has the highest status and with her domineering reputation widely known, no one dares to step forward and provoke her at this moment.

Yu Xiang felt only too glad to be so relaxed. Seeing that the sunlight was just right today, she took a bag of fish food and went to the back garden to feed the fishes while several solidly-built pozi who wouldn't easily let anyone approached guarded around her. Chang Ya Fu ordered people to constantly keep an eye on her and saw that she did not move for a long time, she excused herself saying she was feeling unwell and left first.

In the front courtyard, Duke Jingguo was making amends by offering Yu Pin Yan some wine and dishes while amidst his blabbering he mentioned about his high status and words that were full of guilt and regret as he repeatedly urged him to drink.

Yu Pin Yan who never gets drunk even after consuming a thousand cups merely drank with a cold face. He did not offer him any response which made Duke Jingguo feel rather awkward that his eyes darkened and even after he had uttered all the good words that he had prepared, the other party was not intrigued at all.

Right at this moment, the personal maidservant of Madam Jingguo ran in and spoke in a hurry, "It's not good Marquis. Third Miss Yu somehow fell into the water while feeding the fish by the pond. Though she has been saved, she is still unconscious. Our family Madam requested you to hurry over and take a look."

Throwing the wine cup away with a thud, Yu Pin Yan flung his sleeves and walked away. When he reached the backyard's wing-room, he saw Madam Jingguo standing at the door with a panic-stricken expression. Thinking that Grandmother, Lin Shi and others were in the room, he pushed the door and entered without much thought.

There was no trace of Grandmother and others in the room but a gush of sweet lotus fragrance drifted in the air which did not smell like the usual purified scent. A wheelchair, however, was placed by the side of the bed while a small mass was faintly visible behind the layers of veil.

The anxious mind of Yu Pin Yan calmed down instantly as he walked unhurriedly over to draw the veil up.

Then merely saw Chang Ya Fu wrapped in a quilt as she looked bashfully at him with untold coyness harbored between her eyebrows. Calling out softly, "Yi Feng", she sat halfway up and slowly pushed away the deep-red mandarin ducks embroidered quilt.

Maintaining the action of drawing the veil up, Yu Pin Yan raised an eyebrow and stared at her without a trace of ripple in his pitch-dark eyes.

Dressed only in a bright-red dudou[2] and a light sheer bloomers, the whole body of Chang Ya Fu was covered in pale pink due to bashfulness. Coupled with her lithe graceful posture and fair skin, she looked like a soul-stirring seductress at first glance. With her arms wrapping around herself, she waited and waited but only saw Yu Pin Yan glanced fixedly at her with no action. So, she could only take the initiative to move closer then embraced his strong slender waist and spoke in a coaxing tone, "Yi Feng, I was wrong and willing to give whatever you want. Can you just forgive me this time? I've missed you day and night. My heart is in pain yet also feels remorseful with an unspeakable grief. Yi Feng, please don't abandon me, otherwise I will die."