Chapter 10

After Old Madam was a distance away, Yu Xiang rolled out from the quilt and sat up. She leaned against a soft pillow and reckoned. The dream from yesterday must have come true. Yu Pin Yan must have met with a daunting experience without any mishap, otherwise Old Madam would not have been so eager to interrogate her with such an amiable attitude too. Even if she could not predict her own safety but able to foresee Yu Pin Yan's safety was good enough as no one would want to scheme a disabled like her.

Yu Xiang was still speculating when a wooden tablet that was tied on the top of the bed screen caught her attention and made her wonder, "What is engraved on this tablet?" The weird distorted characters were dyed with red cinnabar. The glaring bright red on those characters looked conspicuously offensive. Similar wooden tablets were seen hanging next to the windows, the corridor and even tucked under the bed mattress. It could be seen almost everywhere in the whole courtyard.

Judging from 'Yu Xiang' memories, these were placed by Lin Shi's personal maid, Jin Momo and a boorish old nun. They even splashed a basin of dog's blood at the doorway before they left which made the whole courtyard suffused with the bloody fishy smell and could only be dispelled after several days.

Tao Hong approached the bed and tucked a soft pillow under her master's lower back. She picked the wooden tablet up and looked at it for a while before her complexion suddenly changed.

Yu Xiang raised her brows and calmly said, "Tell me the truth. Is this little plaything 'The Art of Malice?" If this maidservant was willing to tell the truth, then she could be regarded as useful in the future.

Little Tao Hong nodded her head lightly, "Young Miss, this is an amulet for warding off evil spirits and the words written are......." She cautiously glanced at her master.

"The written words were 'seven souls killed, body incinerated'?" Yu Xiangs responded with a sneer. She was congenitally paralyzed and had felt discontented whenever she saw others who could run, jump and travel to beautiful rivers or mountains, thus her temper became ireful with each passing day. Upon her elder brother's suggestion, she ultimately began to believe in Buddhism that helped a lot in mollifying her temperament.

She used to read innumerable ancient books and records of Buddhism, so how could several Sanskrit wordings stump her? She had seen these wooden tablets when she first woke up here and had really wanted to burn them all! Now that her 'jinx' tag could be considered wiped off after saving Yu Pin Yan twice in Old Madam's eyes, burning off all those tablets would not be a big deal anymore and Lin Shi would surely be out of luck once Old Madam apprehended this!

Yu Xiang pulled down the wooden tablet and threw it on the ground with abomination, "Find all the wooden tablets and burn them! Go quickly."

Tao Hong had also felt that these tablets were really creepy and had wanted to dispose of them earlier. Heeding her master's words, she responded with gladness and diligently got busy.

Dense smoke was seen rising from the courtyard compound. Cui Ping and Cui Xi noticed the smoke smell and rushed over to check it out. Startled they shouted out, "Ah. Why did you burn Madam's protective talismans? Madam instructed that these tablets are not to be moved, otherwise calamity would be incited!"

Tao Hong saw that Cui Ping and Cui Xi were trying to snatch those yet to be burned wooden tablets, she hastily hurled all of it into the fire and stated, "Young Miss allows me to burn them. These wooden tablets are ominous! Stand further away else the sparks might splattered on your skirts."

Cui Ping and Cui Xi immediately leaped away. One went off intending to complain to the Madam in the principal courtyard while the other went to advise the master in the room.