Chapter 45

Shen Miao Qi's name as a maidservant

Yu Pin Yan first entered the Imperial Palace to inform the Emperor about Shen Miao Qi being a maidservant in the Zhao family for four years and also to express his need to take care of the matter with the Zhao family to cover up his family's scandalous secret.

The Emperor was not interested in his family affairs but he was very appreciative of his frankness. After a moment of sigh, he waved his hand and transferred Zhao An Shun to the prosperous city, Yangzhou. A lot of people would soon die in Yangzhou thus more than half officialdom in Yangzhou would be vacant. As this Zhao An Shun was a selfless, upright and impartial government official, he was someone the Emperor could use.

After receiving the Emperor's confidence, Yu Pin Yan left for the Zhao family.

In Yunzhou, Zhao An Shun was famously known as Zhao Qingtian[1]. After hearing Yu Pin Yan's explanation, he took the initiative offering to keep mum of the Marquis manor's secret as he absolutely wouldn't ruin a child's future rashly. He however immediately rejected the transfer to Yangzhou and was even vexed about this matter as he felt his moral character had been insulted.

As such, Yu Pin Yan had a favorable impression of Zhao An Shun and his entire family. He had also known earlier that Shen Miao Qi had never received any grievances in his home. It could be said although Shen Miao Qi's fate was quite bad, the people she met had all treated her sincerely well. First was the Shen family's total submission, then the Zhao family's life-saving grace. That Miss Zhao had also never taken her as a slave instead had addressed her as a sister. Her food, clothing, housing as well as transportation were equal to her own that she was treated and provided just like a sub-young miss.

Knowing she had an extraordinary identity, Shen Miao Qi refused to sign an irrevocable contract with the Zhao family instead an annual revocable one. Normally, such a servant would rarely be trusted and valued by the master. As Father Shen had truly indulged her that he would bring her along willingly whenever he conducted business, this resulted in her ability to gauge the mind and mood of others which easily enabled her to win favors from a young age.

The Zhao family's young miss was coaxed by her within several days and treated her like an intimate friend. After hearing about her identity, Miss Zhao personally came to the front hall and promised never to reveal the secret of Caiqi (Shen Miao Qi) in this lifetime, otherwise she would be struck by divine punishment and die a violent death.

Yu Pin Yan was truly gratified with the discretions of the Zhao family. As Shen Miao Qi didn't sign an irrevocable contract, she was not registered in the bondservant registry, hence Yu Pin Yan didn't need to clear things up with the household registration office, so he took his leave and returned home. He didn't mention again about the promotion of Zhao An Shun since once the imperial edict arrived, Zhao An Shun couldn't refuse even if he wanted to. He only wished Zhao An Shun wouldn't be blinded by the ostentatious glitter of Liang Huai but kept the tranquility as well as the heyday for the Emperor and the Crown Prince.

After learning from her grandson that the Zhao family had been properly taken care of and when the marks on Lin Shi's neck faded away, Old Madam thought it would be good to first let Lin Shi meet her daughter as she had been clamoring about wanting to see her these past few days and also to prevent them from stirring up anymore troubles.

Lin Shi changed the plain white clothes she had worn for 14 years into a golden butterfly floral silk dress and made herself up to meet her daughter in high spirits.

The moment they stepped out the manor door, someone had reported to Yu Xiang.

"Oh, the face is beaming, are you sure you have seen clearly?" Yu Xiang was trimming a pot of fiery red roses.