Chapter Four

"It's been a while since you two have met Uncle Joe," I say as Ty and Nova settle down on the couch in the living room. Joe is in the guest room and has been there for an hour now. I haven't heard much of a sound or any commotion coming from the room.

Ty listens calmly as Nova's brow furrows. I know my ever-excitable daughter has questions.

"Like I said before, it's for three weeks. So behave well, okay?" I ask, and they nod. But then Nova raises her hand, sticking it straight up in the air.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Is he depressed, Mama?" she whispers. I'm thankful she keeps her voice down. Ty sighs, per usual, and Nova shrugs. It's a wonder that they're twins; he's always acting like an older brother as he keeps her in check.

"Just asking," she says innocently. Truly she's very curious and doesn't mean for her question to be mean-spirited.

"He's grieving, Nova."

"Aunty Sherry was a nice lady," she says, frowning.

"He must really miss her," Ty murmurs.

"He does, and I thought it'd be good for him to spend some time here. It's hard being all alone when you've spent a good amount of time with someone else," I say, and Nova tilts her head a bit, her almond-shaped eyes studying me as her braids, with beads on the ends, swing lightly.

"Do you get depressed sometimes, Mama?" she asks bluntly. Ty doesn't even chastise her, and his dark brown eyes watch me intently as well. I blink, taken aback. I'm used to her bluntness, but sometimes she just surprises me. I wasn't expecting this question and find my gaze moving away from them.

"You two know that it's been six years for me now. I knew your dad for about eight years. He was my friend and my first love. Yes, I did feel...not good when he died."

"But now?" Ty asks. I'm not surprised that Nova is inquiring; she inquires about anything and everything. But Ty? The child with the fade and complexion just a few shades darker than his sister's is curious as well. "How do you feel now?" My eyes go to him, to both of them. I study them as well and then look away again, debating whether to say anything.

"The sadness never fully goes away. You still remember a person you loved, a person you created two little lives with. Some days can be hard. That is just how it is."

I stand abruptly, walking away and leaving the conversation behind. That is how much they need to know as children. As their mother, I do not want them to worry. "Like I said—behave," I toss over my shoulder.

That's all that is said about that. They know I won't budge anymore, so they don't push any further.

Later on, we get ready for bed, and I stop by Joe's room. I knock on the door and after a moment, hear slight rustling before soft footfalls. The door opens to reveal his dim eyes. Despite that, he gives a slight smile.

My heart aches, and I can't help but see myself in him.

"Do you need a hug, Joe?" I ask softly. His eyebrows raise, and he doesn't say anything for a moment. Then he cracks the door open more and I step forward, wrapping my arms around him like that day.

"You shouldn't spend too much time here by yourself, you'll get to thinking too much,"

"Thinking is alright," he says, his voice a bit hoarse.

"Yes, but not overthinking."

"We were supposed to die together."

I blink, startled by his words.

"But she left me behind, Gracie...I was thinking about that."

"You're alive for a reason, Joe," I say gently.