Chapter Eighteen

"Uncle Joe!" Nova yells as she opens the front door.

"Hey there, Nova." We hug before she flies away, her dreads half up and half down as she still sports her pajamas. I shut and lock the front door, spotting Ty in the kitchen helping himself to a snack.

"Hey Uncle Joe," he says, coming over.

"Hey Ty, I'm guessing your mom is still upstairs."

We exchange a look.

"You already know."

Per usual, Ty is the only one ready on time, aside from me. I bet Grace is just getting dressed as we speak, in fact.

"I was hoping this time would be different, with how much your aunt hates when we're late."

We're heading to the family get-together, as we have every summer for the past five years, I believe it is. Although the dynamic duo usually joins us. It's been four months now since Austin has been by, and this will be the first one he has missed since he's been with us. Grace hadn't mentioned anything as this day crept closer and closer-none of us had-and I know we've all been hoping he will stop by, but we also know that he probably won't. It's been over a month since I saw him at the gas station.

I feel the same way about Austin as Grace does, but in a different way as well. Even though I'm not his father, I feel like I'm failing as one, and I don't know what to do. That's made me check in with the twins and Rose more, making sure they're doing alright. I don't want any of them going down the same path, yes, but I also want to make sure they don't feel how Austin feels. Even though his belief that we hate him doesn't match reality, these feelings should still be addressed.

"Tell me about it," Ty says, sighing before heading back to the kitchen. "I'll start loading stuff up in the car."

I grab the door for him as he makes his way out with trays of food that Nova and Grace had worked on yesterday and today. Ty had probably helped out with some things here and there as well, as he usually does.

"Hello Joe." My eyes move from the front door to the staircase and I . . . goodness. My jaw goes slack as Grace comes down the stairs.

Grace has always been beautiful, but she's absolutely gorgeous right now. Her afro is out for the summer, and I absolutely love seeing her natural hair. She wears medium-sized hoop earrings and a sleeveless mustard-yellow jumpsuit that complements her dark skin tone incredibly well. It also somehow manages to look casual yet dressy because of her jewelry and bold red lipstick.

She continues down the stairs in a rush before heading to the kitchen, and I chide myself as my eyes find their way to her bottom. The jumpsuit isn't immodest or form-fitting in any way, but Grace just . . . she just has a noticeable figure. Guys have openly ogled her, and she's joked that the weight she gained from the twins settled in some places that she's more than happy to keep on.

I can't say I disagree with that. In fact, I'm just as happy that she's keeping that healthy weight, although I'm not happy about the guys who check her out.

"I said hello, Joe," she says, reminding me that I haven't yet greeted her.

"Sorry, yes, hi," I say, trying for casual as my thoughts begin to drift. She glances at me, and she continues with her work, covering the remaining trays in the kitchen with tin foil.

"Are you alright?" she asks.

"Yeah, I guess my mind just drifted off for a second," I murmur. "Do you need some help?"

"Yes please," she says, bustling around and grabbing some empty trays. I join her, and Ty comes in and out, taking the rest of the trays. She places Nigerian snacks like chin chin and puff puff into the empty trays, along with meatpies that Nova and she had worked on overnight.