Chapter Thirty-Six

Hello there everyone,

I am very excited to upload this chapter. This story is certainly wrapping up and I thank you all for reading. I think I may be done within two or three chapters. With that being said, please enjoy.

"Let's keep going, Ma," Ty says. I hadn't even noticed that I'd stopped, transfixed by the expressions playing out on Joe's face.

Of all the things I expected, I definitely did not expect his reaction, which touches me in a way that I cannot even explain. It's not only because he's crying, but it's also because I can see that he's going down memory lane; the various emotions play out on his face as if he's looking back on how far he's come. And, possibly, this journey we have been on together.

I almost cannot imagine that this is the same man who used to be just a family friend. I now see him as so much more; he holds such a dear place in my heart, and I can't imagine him not being in our lives the way that he is now.

As Ty and I continue to walk, I recall how things began, with me being there for him at the funeral. I recall how Joe was before he healed. He's changed so much, and I thank God that I was able to be there with him through it all. It's so humbling to think that I could be there for him in his low times, and now in these better times.

We have both lost, but we have come out of these trials with a stronger faith, and we have come out with one another. I want to continue on this journey with Joe into our old age.

I finally reach the altar and Ty gently slips his arm from mine as we stop in front of Joe. We share a watery smile and I laugh lightly, reaching up to brush the remainder of his tears away.

"Hello, dear," I say softly.

"Hello, love."

I smile and it almost feels like my heart smiles as well.

"You look beautiful, Gracie."

I laugh again, tears building up in my eyes.

"Thank you."

"I'm sure you'd look beautiful in anything, though," he continues, taking my hand and kissing the inside of my wrist like before. I just about swoon. This man is too much for his own good.

"Thank you for walking her here, Ty." Joe takes a moment to look to him and pats his back.

"You're welcome. I'm entrusting her to you," Ty says with a wide smile, and I laugh.

"I know. I'll take care of your mother," Joe saysseriously. Ty only smiles, knowing Joe and knowing that he is a man of his word.

"I know. I trust you, Dad." It takes the two of us a moment to realize the word that he has said. My eyes widen in surprise, and Joe freezes, staring at Ty before letting out a choked-up laugh.

Joe has been such a great man to me, and a great father figure to the kids. More than a father figure, he has been a father to Ty and Nova. Although they're not related by blood, they take one another as father and child. That warms my heart as a mother. It's a blessing to see him love my children in such a way. I never imagined such a scenario, but God has blessed me in such a great way.

"Thank you, my son."

Ty smiles again and then takes his place behind Joe just the same way Nova stands behind me. Joe and I look at one another and my heart just kind of melts. He takes hold of my hands and I marvel at the way he looks at me with such love.

"How are you, Gracie?"

And there go the tears again, but I hold them back, managing to nod with a smile instead.