Chapter Thirty-Five

My jaw works and I stop with my back against the wall that separates Grace and me.

"Joe?" she calls, and I can't even answer at first. But then I clear my throat and do so.

"Good morning again, Gracie."

"Yes, good morning again . . . they said that you wanted to get a picture and video of us praying before the ceremony?"

"Yeah, but I didn't want to ruin the first look thing by seeing you . . . I hope this is alright with you." I turn my head, still unable to see her. I want to, but I'll hold off on that.

"Yes. I actually like it." She laughs lightly, and it catches. I reach a hand out and I feel her hand fumble over my own before she takes a hold of it. I run a thumb over hers and she lets out a breath. I wait so she can find her voice, and my gaze makes its way to the ground in front of my feet as I imagine her on the other side. Knowing Gracie, she might be pursing her lips, something she does when she'strying to keep from crying. The thought has a smile playing on my lips.

"I think it's beautiful," she whispers, and my smile grows.

"I was hoping you'd like it . . . I want to put a smile on your face when you look back on this day, love," I say sincerely.

"Joe," she murmurs, and her voice quivers.

"I want you to be happy with everything."

"I am."

"Alright, but you let me know if there's anything else you want." I turn towards the wall and lift our hands, pressing a kiss to hers. She's silent, and I know she's trying to avoid crying. "I'll do it for you, Gracie." Truly. There's a lot I'd do for her.

"I . . . I'm fine," she says, and I kiss her hand again.

"Alright . . . I love you," I say and kiss her knuckles. My chest fills with emotions and my heart swells. I can't wait for the wedding to happen, but we have to wait. I want to see her, but I'll wait for that as well. I hear sniffles and her voice shakes as she responds.

"I love you too. I love you a lot, Joseph," I smile, loving how far she's come with being honest with her emotions.

"I know." I rest my lips on the inside of her wrist where her pulse beats a steady rhythm. "I love you a lot as well, love."

"Can we start things early?" she asks. I pause and think for a moment.

"Is everyone here?"

"My sister and husband are the last ones, and they're about ten minutes away."

"Then yes, we can definitely get started once they get here."

"Thank you."

"Of course. I would have rather started hours ago, myself." My words bring a laugh out of her.

"Oh Joe, I know."

Something about the way she says my name gets me smiling. Today I'm getting married to a great friend, my best friend-my confidant. I'm joining with the woman who's been with me through my ups and downs. She's a woman after God's own heart and she's a wonderful mother to her own children, and a wonderful mother figure to Austin as well. She's also a great aunt to Rose. Grace is a woman who stands firm on the Word, and although she isn't perfect, she is willing to grow where there needs to be growth. She's more than I could ask for. I release a sigh, wishing I could put this all into words for her, but for now I settle with three.

"I love you," I repeat.

"I know. I love you too." She sighs as well, and we just hold hands for a few minutes, with me still running my thumb along hers. I press my lips to her wrist again, and then the back of her hand.