Chapter Thirty-Four

Hello! Merry belated Christmas and happy new year, everyone. I pray things go well for everyone reading this. Enjoy the read, and take care.

I knock on the door to the expansive home I stand in front of, here to pick up one of the attendants. Ty sits in the car, on the phone with the officiator, who will be just as early as us to church. The door opens, and I smile at the young blue-eyed man who stands on the other side. It's reminiscent of how we first met.

"Morning, son," I greet Austin, who is still in his street clothes. He's added a few inches, probably at the same height as Ty now. His hair has also grown and is now ear length, although he keeps half of it up in a mini ponytail.

"Pops." He gives a shaky smile before I pull him into a hug. "Good morning." His arms wrap around me.

"Morning. How are you?"

"I'm doing good, just nervous. How are you?"

"Excited." We both laugh at that and pull apart. I clap his back, studying him. "What's got you nervous?"

"I'm just . . ." His gaze falls and he's silent for a few seconds. "Are you and Aunty really sure that you want me there?" he asks quietly.

"Austin." I wait for him to look back up at me. "Are you family?" He remains silent before his eyes shine and he nods once.

"I am."

"And today is for family, so don't go thinking like that," I say sternly, resting my hand on the young man's shoulder. "Grace and I didn't want it any other way, so you're coming whether you like it or not."

"But Rose . . . Pops, I don't want to cause anything."

"Rose already knows that you'll be there."

He nods, having guessed that already. "But how does she feel about it?" he asks, and at the sound of approaching footsteps, we turn to see Ty looking serious.

"Not gonna lie, Rose is a bundle of nerves too, but she hates the idea of you possibly missing their wedding because of what happened between you two." he says, and Austin is quiet for a moment before nodding.

"Alright, let me go get my stuff." he says, and Ty and I smile, happy he's finally agreeing to come along. He has been hesitant this whole time, torn between wanting to be present and not wanting to make things worse by seeing Rose again. This was a decision Grace and I not only discussed, but prayed about as well. It was something we definitely needed wisdom for.

Austin returns and doesn't look back after locking the front door. I only needed to pick up the two men this morning; now we head to the church where we'll be getting ready.

It's after getting there and getting dressed that I start to feel nervousness creep up within me. It has me making a few slow laps in the room where we wait. I adjust the collar of my shirt a few times before glancing at my wristwatch. We're about an hour ahead of schedule—two minutes closer since I last checked. I sigh and make a U-turn in the small room, choosing to go in the other direction this time.

Austin and Ty fix themselves up, chatting. I glance at the two and notice how they're taking their sweet time. I look away, letting out a breath. I need something to do—that should make the time go by faster. I look at the two again.

"Ty," I call.

"Yes, Pops?" I wave the young man over just as he gets started with his tie. He stands in front of me, and I reach out a hand for the item. He hands it to me with a smile even though he knows full well how to tie it. Afterall, I'm the one who taught him. "You're like Ma," he comments. I sigh at that.