Chapter Ten

It's been a little more than three weeks since that night and I can't even look at Grace the same way anymore. I'm finding that somewhat frustrating and confusing. I recognized before that she was a woman, but it's like my mind now realizes that she's all woman—meaning she's got a body that, well . . . it attracts me. I found Grace attractive before, but this is different; it's one thing to find her attractive, it's another thing to be attracted to her as if she's like a magnet that pulls me in like a fish on a reel.

But not only that, she's feminine as well, and she's traditional. The more I'm with her, the more I see things I like, and the more wonderful she seems. And it's like something within me can't make do with the fact that she's simply a friend. Has it truly been that long since I've entertained a woman that I'm now looking at Grace in such a manner?

Even now as she walks ahead of me inside her home, I find it takes some strength to not let my gaze drift down. There have been things I've noticed before, but it's as if they're just hitting me now in a different way. She holds herself gracefully as she strides with confidence and elegance. I can't help but stare. And of course, she decides at that moment to turn around.

"Are you alright, Joe?" She asks, quirking an eyebrow. I glance away as I stand put near the front door.

"Yeah."

"Alright. Are you staying for dinner tonight? It seems like you've been busy these past few weeks," she says. Indeed, I've been busy, but I've found myself wanting to stay away for a while as well, to see if there would be any change in how I see her. I was hoping that it was just a passing thing, but the feeling has not only lingered, it's gotten stronger.

"Yeah, I'll be staying." There's silence between us before she speaks again. I pray she won't ask anything, but I know Grace.

"Have you just been busy with work?"

For a moment I can't say anything. She heads to the kitchen and busies herself as she opens and closes drawers and cabinets as if searching for something, but I know she's just waiting for my response.

"No," I say truthfully, and she freezes for a moment before her movements continue, slower this time.

"Oh?"

"Yes. . . Grace." I pause, trying to figure out how to put this. I spent the past few weeks trying to figure it out. How did I suddenly begin to feel this way towards her? She's a friend—a much younger friend at that. That's right, keep that in mind.

"I just wanted to give things some time and get things figured out." That's what I settle with. Again, there's nothing said between us for a while. Her back is to me as she continues doing whatever she's doing. I don't even know what she's doing, it just seems like she's trying to find something to do.

"And did you do that? Did you get things figured out?" she asks, her voice eerily calm. I get the feeling I should tread lightly.

"Not really. . . no," I say. She nods.

"So you thought it would be best to show your face around here less and you didn't even achieve your goal?" When she puts it that way, it doesn't sound great. But I felt the need to put some space between us to think better. A major change had occurred, and I needed to figure out how to navigate it.

"I felt that it was—"

She whips around, her brow furrowed and frowning. She makes her way to me in quick strides, and I know it's odd, but it's alluring. And there I go again.

"That it was what, Joe?" she asks, stopping in front of me. I frown as well.

"Necessary," I finish, and she takes a breath.