Chapter Twenty

Hello again, once more the explanations for lingo is at the bottom of this chapter. Take care, and enjoy the read.

"So you finally secured Joe, your oyinbo man?" comes Abike. There's a round of laughter from her and our other friends, and I roll my eyes as the women share high fives.

"Abi? It's about time," Kemi replies.

"Joor, joor, joor, pack up," I say, motioning to the leftover food that people had not taken home.

"Oré—my friend—don't be upset, now," Tope shouts from her place beside her husband, Yuzhe, who is busy calling their children back to him. The three ladies had quickly left me when Joe had approached earlier, looking like a man on a mission who would gladly fight whoever got in his way. The intensity in his eyes was something to behold. He truly meant business, and that made me nervous, but I also thought it was very attractive. He's a man who knows what he wants and will go to lengths to get it. That's sexy.

"Don't forget me on your wedding day!" Abike reminds me, giving me a look before tossing her braids over her shoulder.

“Ehn? She better invite us,” says Kemi. Fred, Joe’s close friend, stands beside her, holding her one-year-old, Dayo, who is fast asleep with his face buried in Fred’s neck, his hand loosely holding onto his shirt. The large man tenderly rocks from side to side, looking like a gentle giant. My heart warms at that. He’s been wonderful to Dayo and Kemi. She’s been through so much and deserves this and more.
“Remember your friends,” Kemi adds.

"You two are silly, how can she forget us? Does she have other friends?" Tope jokes, laughing at her own comment. I just roll my eyes again. The woman rushes to grab her toddler before he can put a bug of some sort into his mouth. He cries, upset at the failed opportunity. Tope hoists the little boy on her waist, making her way to her husband, who is now joined by their seven-year-old.

The older child reaches for the younger one, and she hands him over. Her seven-year-old daughter is a baby whisperer who can calmevery baby, including her little brother, and soon the toddler is as quiet as can be and smiles through his tears.

"Who said I don't have other friends?" I ask, making them laugh. All these babies are giving me baby fever. And now Joe's words are buzzing around in my head. I must be crazy, but I actually want to carry his child. I've always wanted more children. But at thirty-eight? Maybe that's just wishful thinking, even if it is possible. There are more complications associated with older age, we are older now. Also, this may be too much for the twins. And . . . I mean . . . everything would change. We'd have to get gates to put at the stairs, covers for the power outlets and well . . . these are things to keep in mind.

I'm standing here just coming up with reasons why such a wonderful thing should not occur, as if it would be too good to be true. I decide the best thing to do is to leave it to God and see what He has in mind. Although that's easier said than done.

During the whole clean up, my mind wanders to the potential of having a baby once more, then to something else, then back to the baby.

I watch as Joe laughs with some of the other men, mingling with them easily. Everyone takes to him very well, and he's respected. I appraise his strong build,openly admiring him. Joe is fine wine. Or rather, he has aged just like fine wine, only getting better with age.

He helps some of the guys lift the coolers, and I watch his muscles flex in his short-sleeved shirt. I fan myself as his strong legs take him from one place to another.

"Don't stare too hard, oré," Kemi warns, making the others laugh, and I can't help but smile.

Things get cleaned up quickly;it's the goodbyes that take much longer. Some people do not take a hint and would linger till midnight. When it comes to goodbyes though, I am punctual. Well, not always, but I've got a man I've had my eye on who's been giving me looks from afar. People keep talking to us, which is preventing me from talking to him.