Chapter Twenty-Three

"Have you told your sister?"

"About Rose?" I ask. Joe nods, his eyes looking up from the cup of orange juice in his hand. My mouth turns down in a frown.

"No . . . I know that if she knows, she'll be angry, so I can't bring myself to."

He nods, silent. If it was Nova who had slept with a boy and Victoria knew, I would want to know as well—I would feel like I should be told. But I'm conflicted. I know that Rose messed up and she'll have to face her mother's wrath. Would this fracture their relationship? How would Victoria take it?

"I think . . ." Joe trails off.

We're in Mabel's Diner during the dinner rush. He has taken me out again tonight and we've had a wonderful time thus far. I know he's been wanting to talk about this, and I have been wanting to ask for his advice. But a part of me also wants to ignore it and hope it just goes away. I'm in a tough spot.

"I think it would be wise of you to tell her," he finally says, and I sigh, looking out the window into the dark night. We both got off from work not long ago and just wanted some time to ourselves. "I know it's tough, trust me, but imagine how much worse things would be if you don't."

"And what about Rose?"

"Sorry, let me clarify that. I think you should have a meeting with the two of them; have them both sit down together and get the ball rolling like that. I know that's easier than it sounds, but that might honestly be the best way to go, Grace. I also think that ultimately Rose should be the one to tell her mother what happened."

"Shouldn't she already know?" I grumble, disliking how I'm in this position to begin with. "Rose felt the need to take the test in my home, not her parents' home. She was hiding from all of us, but especially her mother. That should be the one person she should feel she can run to." I feel like my sister's behavior toward her child is biting her in the butt in this regard.

"While I do agree with you, I also think that this could have still happened even if they were close. If Rose thought the outcome of telling her mother would be terrible even if they were close, she would have still hiddenit."

"Well my sister can still do better," I look down at my empty plate as Joe falls silent. I look back up to find him studying me. "What is it?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"You don't want to tell her."

"You are right, I do not."

"But you should do something at least, Grace. You don't want this getting worse," he says gently, correcting me with love like he does sometimes. I grimace and turn my attention back to my empty plate. I'm not a fan of this conversation. But I also understand that it needs to be had.

"Should we get going?" he asks after a minute, and I nod. He downs the rest of his orange juice and then stands, reaching a hand out to me and guiding me up. He takes my coat from the back of my chair and then slips his hand into mine as we walk towards the entrance.

"Y'all have a nice day now." We look to the window of the kitchen to see the owner, Mama Mabel, an older woman with a spring in her steps. She wears a warm smile and waves.

"Goodbye Ms. Mabel," we both call, and I smile warmly as well. She's a wonderful woman, a God-fearing woman who reminds me of my own late mother.

"Goodbye Uncle Joe, goodbye Aunty," her son Marcus calls as we leave. The large man reminds me of Austin with his own prodigal son story.

"See ya, Marc," Joe says.

"Goodbye Marcus. Say hello to your wife for us," I say.

"Will do ma'am. Y'all take care now."