Chapter Thirty-Seven

It's unfortunate that our week and a half honeymoon is almost over. Our time in the house is quickly coming to a close and I can't even put into words how fantastic it's all been. Our love has deepened thanks to our intimacy, and it's taken things to another level. Doing things God's way truly is the best—we've done right by God, and also, right by ourselves.

These thoughts go through my mind as I sit reading the newspaper at the dining table Grace and I picked out before the wedding. There are usually a few good stories or a few good deals in the paper. I could easily go online, but I like the feel of paper in my hands. I glance outside, looking out the sliding glass, and watch the snow fall, feeling content as can be. The little white particles fall gently and the light in the backyard illuminates it, highlighting the action.

Although it's cold out there, it's warm and cozy in here. I smile, feeling more than blessed. During the earlier part of my life, my parents were tight on money, and they raised me up to be thankful for even the smallest things. They saw more worth in a warm smile than money, and they valued kindness greatly.

Later on, my father was blessed with the opportunity for a better-paying job, but neither his nor my mother's mindset changed. It was my parents who taught me the benefits of investing and being smart with your money, and I tried to pass that on to the kids as well. Due to my upbringing, I believe I have more of an appreciation than I would have had I not been raised in such a manner.

Speaking of blessings, Grace is upstairs, still asleep most likely. We were up for quite some time last night. My mouth quirks up at that. She'll likely be out for a while. I take a swig of orange juice, continuing to watch the scene outside. Snowfall is such a beautiful thing; the world appears quiet and at peace.

"Lord, You always know what You're doing. I've got to say, this is absolutely beautiful." I sit with a smile, marveling some more when I hear soft footfalls come down the stairs and make their way to me.

"Joe," comes her tired voice.

"Gracie, you're awake?" I ask in surprise. It's only four in the morning after all.

"Yes."

"I thought you might be out like a lamp."

"I was," she admits, and I chuckle. "But then I woke up and saw that you weren't there." She stops behind me and I tilt my head back to see her wearing my shirt. I fall silent for a moment before taking one of her hands gently and guiding her onto my lap. She sits and I wrap my arms around her, enjoying the feel of her. Grace lets out a sigh, snuggling deeper and resting her head on my shoulder. I kiss her temple and she hums drowsily in approval.

"My apologies, love, I thought I'd come out here and just look outside for a bit." She nods, silent. "You didn't want to sleep without me?" I ask her softly.

"No," is her quiet reply, and I can't help but smile.

"Should we head back up?"

"Mhm," she says, sounding like she's already falling asleep again.

"Let's take you back upstairs then, sleeping beauty." I leave my drink and paper, attending to the more pressing matter—my wife. She holds on as I carry her back into the bedroom. Once we get there, I set her down gently on the bed. I remove the robe I had on and slip in, bringing her to me. She settles in closer, and I watch as she drifts off.

There's a smile on my face and that feeling of being blessed again. Grace is more than I could ever ask for. I kiss her head gently, not wanting to wake her. I'm also proud of her, and happy that she feels she can be so honest and open with me. I certainly do not take this for granted, and I want to make sure that she never feels otherwise. After a while, I nod off as well, sleeping soundly with my lady in my arms.