Chapter Twenty-Four

"You really like your orange juice," I say, handing Joe a cup of it. "Ty takes after you with that."

"I don't blame him—what's not to like about orange juice?" he asks with a grin. A lazy one rests on my own face as he takes my hand, pressing a kiss to my palm like he's been doing for the past week now. I like it. It's so sweet.

"It's okay," I respond. He looks offended and releases my hand in mock disdain. I roll my eyes.

"Says the woman who thinks water is the best drink,"

"Is it not?" I challenge.

"It's okay," he tosses back at me. I can't help but laugh. It's the evening and we're at home, at the kitchen island. The twins are upstairs.

"Did I offend you?" I tease.

"Yes," he jokes. I reach out a finger to tip his chin up.

"Don't be angry," I say, resting against the island as I stand in front of him. He gives an easy smile as he sits on one of the bar stools.

"Hmm. I won't be . . . if—"

"Oh no you don't," I say, pulling back. "You cannot bargain with me."

"Oh yeah? Why not?"

"You still owe me."

"Owe you what?" he asks, and I frown lightly, feeling heat rise to my face.

"A kiss," I say, and his eyebrows rise before he adopts a sly smile. I cross my arms, rolling my eyes. "I shouldn't have said anything," I mutter.

"I didn't know you wanted it that much," he says, laughing to himself.

"Actually, you can keep your kiss to yourself," I say, turning around so my back faces him.

"You know me Grace—I won't deny you of what you want the most." I bite back my grin, enjoying his teasing much more than I would like to admit.

"Whatever," I mutter.

"Oh, don't go feeling embarrassed. I'll give it to you."

"Give it to your own self."

"Oh don't go being like that. Turn around now, let me see you."

"No." That earns a louder laugh.

"Don't go being like that, Gracie. Let me see you."

"No."

"Alright, I'll just have to come around myself then," he says, and I turn to him in surprise as I hear his chair scoot back. It takes me a second after seeing his smug expression to realize that I fell for it.

"Gotcha."

Ooh, this man.

"Why hide such a beautiful expression?"

I huff but find myself blushing regardless.

"No worries, I'll give you that kiss later . . . if I think you deserve it."

At his words, I walk away. His laughter rings out loudly as I ignore him.

"Oh come on, Grace," he says after settling down. I rummage through kitchen drawers.

"I'm friends with you and that says enough."

"Ha! Are you saying you deserve it because you put up with me?"

"You and your antics, Joe."

"Can you look me in the eye and say that?" he teases. I'm trying to keep my back to him once more. I don't want him to see how my mouth is turned up in amusement. He doesn't need to know that.