Chapter Thirty-Two

"Joe."

I immediately put my hands up upon hearing the serious tone in Grace's voice.

"Whatever Nova did, I didn't support it," I say. I just walked in and I have no idea what's going on. Grace stands at the base of the stairs as if she was waiting for me. Normally I'd be delighted, but she has this pensive look that tells me that would be the wrong emotion for the situation.

"Nova has nothing to do with this."

"Oh . . . okay."

"Good evening, by the way."

"Good evening," I say before approaching her. "Is something wrong?"

"My sister just called me."

Goodness, that was quick. It's been a day since I paid Victoria a surprise visit without telling Grace, and I was hoping she would contact her soon, but I didn't think she would do it this soon. Not that I'm complaining. I just wonder what she said if it has Grace looking at me like I did something not so great.

"I didn't know that you were going to see her."

"It was a surprise."

"You didn't tell me."

"Yeah, that's where the surprise part comes into play," I joke, but she merely stares. I drop my smile and adopt a serious expression. "What did she tell you?"

"She said that you came by unannounced and that you would not leave." I avoid rolling my eyes. "She also said that you both spoke and for some reason, she found herself letting you in. She also said that for some reason, she found herself listening to you even though she was so angry. Joe . . . she was thankful that you came to talk to her, and she was grateful for your patience." Now that has my eyes widening.

"You only have one sister, right?"

"Joe."

"I'm just checking, Gracie. That doesn't sound like Victoria at all."

She frowns lightly but nods once.

"It's like the Lord softened her heart."

"I'll be honest—I'm still taken aback that she even allowed me into her home. I prayed for a while in my truck before I headed in, but I wasn't expecting the Lord to move like that."

Her dark browns stay on my face as she takes in my words.

"You were patient with her?"

"I tried to be. I won't lie, I felt annoyed when she kept yelling at me with that wooden spoon of hers, but I prayed for patience and the Lord came through. I'm telling you Gracie, I just felt this odd peace wash over me in a way I can't even explain. You normally don't feel patient when someone is threatening to embarrass you, y'know? But I did and I thank God for that."

She studies me before speaking.

"Why did you go there?"

"I don't like how things are between any of us, and I also knew that I needed to talk to her to move on for myself. I didn't want her treating you or anyone like this anymore, and I didn't want to continue holding onto that anger." Grace stays quiet after my explanation before moving forward and taking my hands in hers.

"I love you, Joe." Now I wasn't expecting that. "To be honest, I was upset at first when she called and told me that you met with her. I knew how you had been feeling about my sister and for a second, I thought you went to speak your mind. Forgive me. But then she told me what had happened, and I was just blown away. I'm even more blown away by the fact that you knew this was a struggle for you, and you knew that you needed help from the Lord. You truly are a wonderful man. You're not perfect, but you seek to better yourself where you're weak. I love that." She lets out a breath.

"I can't believe that my sister called me. We've never had such a nasty falling out before. This truly hurt. She apologized to me, and I will not lie: at first I couldn't bring myself to say anything. It took a little while, but I told her that I forgive her. I had forgiven her before, but I found it more difficult to say the words in that moment. Her words hurt and she said sorry for saying them, but I don't know." Grace shrugs delicately. "That doesn't take anything away . . . but it is something."

I kiss the top of her head and bring my arms around her."It is something. It takes a lot to forgive someone as well, especially someone so dear to you."

"It did." She releases a drawn out breath, and then another. I feel her tears on my shirt before I hear her cry. "I don't know if we'll ever be that close again. I don't know how we'll move past this." My heart aches for her.

"Grace." I take her gently by her shoulders and then use a hand to wipe her tears. "Worrying won't help anything."

Her mouth quivers and she lets out another breath.

"I know."

"You do what you can and pray for the rest. God worked a miracle by softening Victoria's heart—something we didn't expect. I won't lie, it's a possibility that things won't go back to the way they were, but regardless of how things go, bring all of this to the Lord and try not to worry. Answers might not come right now so don't allow yourself to be disheartened."

I wish I could say more or say something that could instantly make things better, but these are the only words I can find. But Grace gives me a quivering smile, looking at me like I just said the words she needed to hear.

"Okay," she responds, and I place gentle kisses on her cheeks before giving her a short one on her mouth. She rests her head on my chest and I wrap my arms tight around her. I love Grace and I want the absolute best for her. I want the absolute best for my love.