Chapter Thirty-Three

"Oh Mama," Nova gushes, her eyes wide with surprise. For once in my lovely daughter's life, she can't even find the words to say. Her eyes swim and she nods, settling with a smile. I have to agree with her. Of all the dresses I have tried on and all the stores we have gone to, we finally found the dress for me.

I wasn't sure at first what to get. Should I get something that was more elaborate and keep it for the larger wedding in the future? Or maybe I should get something simple?

"It's perfect, Aunty," Rose says as she stands beside her cousin. I'm glad she was able to come out today-and not just her. My eyes find Victoria's in the mirror and even though she's silent, her expression says everything. She keeps herself composed, but her eyes take on a sheen. Today is a special day, and I am glad they are both here. It has been three weeks since Joe spoke to my sister and the healing that has occurred during this time has surprised me. We are on much better terms now, and I am thankful for that.

The wedding dress I'm wearing was actually on the clearance rack at a bridal shop we stepped into. It's simple, yet elegant. It honestly feels like it was made just for me, and I love not only the way it looks, but also how it feels. I feel beautiful-and not just that, I feel comfortable.

The gown has tulip sleeves with lace detailing that continues on the bodice, stopping an inch or two before my waist. The rest is a lovely satin, and it has a small train at the back. I wasn't even sure what material I wanted, but this is perfect. There is even small beading and sparkles on the lace detailing. It isn't too simple, but it also looks elegant and classy. The V-neck is not low at all, and nothing is really revealed. The dress is taken in at the waist and flows gently down the rest of the way.

"And the back . . ." Rose gushes. I turn my head to catch the detailing in the mirror behind me and my eyes widen. I hadn't even seen that. The lace continues on the back. Without it, there would have been just sheer material revealing my back, but the lace provides more modesty and adds even more beauty to the dress.

"Oh," I whisper. I'm taken by it.

"I heard some of the ladies at the front earlier. They said that there is a sale going on today," my sister says. The dress is only four hundred fifty dollars, but with the sale, it will bring the price even lower. I wasn't expecting something so beautiful that is much lower than my budget. I had almost lost hope that we would even find a dress for me.

"That is wonderful," I say. Victoria nods and moves from her spot to me. She looks at the dress in the mirror and then turns to me.

"You look absolutely beautiful, Adeola." Tears spring up at her words, and she steps onto the little makeshift stage I stand on, giving me a hug.

"I'm glad you're here," I say in her ear.

"I am glad as well. I have you and Joe to thank for that . . . I am sorry for my behavior, my sister."

"I forgive you." The words come out with such ease. "I love you."

"I love you as well," she says, her voice thick with unshed tears.

Our daughters take pictures of us and then of me alone. And after, I go to purchase the dress, but I'm surprised when Victoria pays for it.

"My sister-" I start, but she ignores me, also purchasing an expensive box for the dress. "What?"

"You will need to store it for your next celebration."

"But I can pay for it myself," I gently argue.

"I know, and so can I. I am your older sister, and I want to contribute in some way. As your older sister, I should be taking care of you." She takes the receipt from the associate who also hands her the dress while giving us both a smile. Victoria carefully hands me the dress in the bag it was placed in. It's a see-through one that she also bought.