Chapter Nine

"I thought you said you'd come over after dinner yesterday," I say as I open the door for Joe.

"Joe." I give him a questioning look as he only stares at me, looking like he's in some sort of daze. He blinks in surprise and then looks away, letting out a small laugh.

"Sorry,"

"Is everything alright?" I study him and he looks back at me.

"Yeah, just a little out of it this morning, but I'm good," I don't believe him, but I know that whatever it is, he'll bring it up when he's ready.

"And anyways, I was joking," he says, switching topics. "Did you want—"

"I'm asking because of your food," I say before he can finish his sentence, but he still gives a small smirk. "It's in the fridge."

"I'll have it later tonight then. How late are you working till today?" I picked up a shift tonight so he's here again.

"I'm hoping till eleven thirty, but it may go later," I say, heading upstairs to grab my purse. I'm ready already but was waiting for him to get here before I head out. "So eight hours, hopefully," I say once back downstairs. He nods.

"Victoria is bringing them back by four fifteen, so you're free until then."

"Oh, I thought they were coming back now," he says.

"Yeah, that was the plan, but then Nova got lost at the zoo." If I wasn't so used to it, I'd be more concerned, but I know she's never truly lost. "So they ended up taking longer."

He nods, not surprised.

"I'm guessing Ty found her?"

"Yep. And Rose and Austin led the search, using their legendary detective skills." I head to the fridge to grab my lunch bag. When those two put their brains together, it's like nothing can stop them.

"Where was she this time?"

"With the giraffes."

"Probably hatching a plan to get them out of there." We both laugh at that.

"And you know Ty already warned her not to."

"Oh Nova. She takes after Lance."

I snort at his words, bag in hand as I move to the front entrance and attempt to slide on my shoes. My lunch bag slips down my arm and he steps forward, taking it from me so I can put on my shoes. I give him a grateful smile.

"And Lance's mother—Lord have mercy, she was something else as well," I inform him.

"She was wild, I take it?"

"We'll just say that she was an energetic woman. She passed at eighty-five and was still up and running."

"If Nova takes after her. . . " he trails off and I let out a short laugh, straightening up.

"I know. Let's just hope she calms down as she gets older."

"How likely would that be?"

"I said hope, Joe." He laughs. "I am not saying that it's likely." I reach for my lunch bag, but he evades me, grabbing the front door instead. Always a gentleman. He walks me to my Camry, opening the door for me after I unlock it. He finally hands me my lunch bag and I smile.

"If you treat me like this, what sort of expectations should I have for a man who tries to come into my life?" He gets that look from earlier on his face again and I wonder why.

"High ones, Gracie."

"Not too high though," I counter. "Or else I might never find a guy," I'm joking. I'm not even trying to find any guy right now.