Chapter Fifteen

Initially, we all thought that Austin was visiting for the summer—well all of us except Rose; she had been the only one to know. They all surprised me, but Austin had his own surprise for us when he told us the day after he arrived that he had dropped out of the academy. My thought that he might not find what he was looking for turned out to be true. Although he spent a year there, he didn't grow stronger in the way that he wanted.

Now, all the kids are sophomores in high school and that's great, but there have been changes. The changes have mostly occurred between Austin and the rest of us, much to our dismay.

His interests have changed—we've known this for a while now, but we're seeing it with our own eyes as well. During my patrols, I've seen him numerous times out at the crack of dawn with some rowdy teens. Not just teens, but adults as well. I talked to him about this, but he didn't see anything bad about what he was doing.

I advised him, Grace advised him, the twins advised him, Rose advised him. Our intention was to help him see the dangers of the people who were well-known for vandalism, petty theft, wild parties, etc. Austin let us know that he didn't care about that. He just wants to have fun.

He's living like a man without direction, just going where he pleases. He has no plans, and he feels that he has no purpose as well, so he's doing what he feels is right. That's how he started smoking, drinking, and going to wild parties.

The more we speak to him, the more tension that puts between us. And so Austin comes by less and less. It feels as if we're all walking a tightrope around one another, him with us and us with him. Heck, it has become an "us" versus "him" situation. It's something we hadn't meant to happen, but he often points out, saying he feels like the black sheep because he's "different" and his interests don't match ours. We have tried to clarify time after time that it's because he is now living recklessly, but he doesn't agree. So we've practically stopped talking about it altogether.

Austin is thankfully here today but he sits away from us, at the dining table, silent. He even sits away from Rose, who is the only one seated at the island, a cup of water sitting in front of her that she stares into. This would have been unheard of in the past, when the two were inseparable. But now things are different.

Austin suddenly rises, bumping into the table he sits at. The ceramic cup that was on it falls to the ground, shattering with a loud crash. He mutters an expletive under his breath, probably trying to say it too low for us to catch.

Rose stands, moving to where he is and picking up the broken pieces. Austin immediately swoops down with a frown, stopping her and saying something quiet enough for only her to hear. Then he inspects her hand as if afraid she may have cut it on one of the shards. And just like that, they're in their own little world.

Grace and I stay in the living room as they both clean up, not paying us any mind. We're more wary of them being together now with the tension that we've seen between them a few times. Even with their friendship on thin ice, that attraction is still very apparent.

So that's why we're here in the living room, and not just us; Ty and Nova are watching them as well. We're all aware that their relationship has taken an odd turn. Austin isn't talking to any of us as much, but he's still talking to Rose. I don't know what it would take for him to stop talking to her, but I have a feeling something will come along, and it might happen soon. I feel like it's going to shake things up even more.

Once done picking up the broken cup, Austin and Rose stand, and he reaches down, tucking her hair behind an ear. She smiles, gazing up at him, but it's a sad smile. I know he sees that as well. He takes hold of her chin, returning her gaze, and it's like they're talking without words. Finally he sighs, letting her go and running a hand through his hair, appearing frustrated. She reaches up, placing a hand on his cheek and he softens noticeably under her touch. Rose is so petite, and Austin definitely isn't small, so when this happens, it just highlights how much of an effect she has on him. He looks like he'd fend off an army for her if he had to. Love can really bring people to their knees.

I know it's odd, but I've been getting this feeling that in the end, even if it takes years, everything will be okay. But things might have to get worse before they get better.