Chapter 13

Ally's POV
I got in my car and headed to the hospital. I needed to be with my baby boy. I knew he needed his momma during this time. But what I didn't know was when I got there things where going to continue to be bad.  As I arrived at the hospital I went straight to the nicu. I seen my precious baby boy in his little crib. He was so cute but he had so many tubes hooked up to him. It broke my heart in so many ways to see him like this. I just wanted to hold him. I held in my tears that were wanting to fall.

A little while later nurses and doctors came in to check on him and also to tell me news. I wasn't prepared for this moment. I was by myself and didn't have Patrick there to calm my nerves or hold my hand through this. I was so scared what they were going to say.
Dr.Lang: hello miss Thompson. How are you doing?
Ally: I'm doing ok. I just wish my baby boy wasn't in here and could be at home with me and his daddy.
Dr. Lang: we understand. But we have some news. Oakley has some heart problems that require surgery to fix. But with him being so small and so young we can't do the surgery it would end up killing him. Also he has tons of  troubles breathing which also make the surgery more difficult.
Ally: so what are you saying doctor. That my boy won't ever be able to come home.
Dr. Lang: what we are saying is that your boy will be extreme high risk. Which means he won't be able to go many places. COVID is still very real and could affect him. I understand his dad is a professional football player and you also work for the same team. But Oakley wouldn't be able to go to any games or be around anyone who isn't in your home.
Ally: so he wouldn't be able to leave the house. His dad is around tons of people all the time. His dad wouldn't be able to hold him or do anything with him. Are you sure there isn't anything you can do to save him. He's only a couple days old.
Dr. Lang: ma'am if we try to do the procedure he won't make it. We are only looking at what's best for him. I know you want him to be as healthy and safe as possible and we only want that for him to. I'll give you sometime to discuss this with his dad and anyone else that would want to see him.

After that the doctor left the room. I was extremely heartbroken. My boy couldn't watch his dad play which means neither could I but I had to be there for my job. But with that Oakley is high risk and we need to think about his safety. I then called Patrick to let him know what the doctor said.

Ally: hey baby, I'm calling to let you know that the doctor gave me some more news.
Patrick: hey baby girl, what did the doctors say.
Ally: the doctors say that in order to fix his heart problems he would have to go under surgery. But since he is so young the surgery could kill him plus with his breathing problems he wouldn't be able to push through.
Patrick: oh I'm sorry you had to go through that I alone I wish I could have been there. Was there anything else the doctor said. Can he see family and come watch me play football.
Ally: about that he is extremely high risk which means he can't be around anyone that doesn't live with us. He also wouldn't be able to go to any football games to watch you play and I don't know how I would do my job. Which also means that it would be hard for you to even be near him. I'm so sorry baby I wish there was more we could do but there isn't. I feel like I'm already failed him as a mother and failed you.
Patrick: hey baby don't think like that you didn't fail. Also we will figure something out about what to do with your job and me being able to see him. Yeah it sucks that our family won't be able to see him or hold him but we have to do what's best for him. I wish he could see me play football but if keeping him at home and safe is what we have to do then that's what we have to do. But let me know if the doctors say anything else ok I love you and I'll see you when you get home.
Ally: ok I will I love you too and I'll see you when I get home.
Read 2:30 pm

Patrick's POV
After I got off the phone with ally I told Travis and Maddie the news. They were very understanding about it and knew we trying to keep little man safe. Soon after my door bell rang. I went to get the door and it was my parents and siblings. I welcomed them in, instantly my mom knew I was upset. We all went to the living room as Maddie and Travis went to the kitchen to start cooking some dinner. I told my family everything that ally told me and that she would keep me updated. I didn't know when she would be coming home and I wasn't going to rush her either. I knew she needed that time with our boy.

A little while later dinner we ready we all went into the kitchen to eat. It was about 5:30 now and I haven't heard much from ally. I knew she would probably be tired and would let me know when she could. After we got done eating my mom and I cleaned up the kitchen. We started to have a conversation and I was trying my hardest not to cry.

Randi: hey it's ok to cry. Your son is in the hospital and you found out some really bad news today. You and ally have the right to cry and be upset none of us are judging you.
Patrick: I know mom. It's just hard. I don't know what ally went through I was there but she was in so much pain and I can't even imagine half of it. Now she's there by herself dealing with all of it alone. Mom I'm scared for her. She shouldn't have to be going through this. Neither of us should.
Randi: you both will get through this you have tons of family and friends that are here for you every step of the way. All you need to do is be there for you just like when she was giving birth.

Soon after our conversation we all gathered in the living room. Me and ally had plenty of space for everyone to stay the night. So my family all stayed and so did Maddie and Travis. We all wanted to be there for ally but just didn't know how yet. Ally texted saying she was going to stay with Oakley for the night she wasn't ready to come home yet. We all understood and would be here when she was ready to come home.